How Many Have Solo SP without Alternate?

I may be entering a situation where I have a single SP with no alternate. I think I've only been in this situation a couple of times in my career. So, I wonder, how many are in this situation now and what do you do when your SP is out of town?

As a footnote, I was really irritated with Physicians Insurance company who persuaded my alternate SPs (which are my present SPs) not to be my alternate.

I have only one SP currently and I don't find it problematic in the least. I work solo without SP on site so when he is on vacation we maintain the normal phone contact lines of communication. We also use EMR which he reviews if I need his input and we can communicate electronically for normal day in and day out interactions regardless of his whereabouts.

I have a really good referral network and emergency protocols in place for any urgent/emergent situations which my SP and I have discussed so we have a protocol for these sort of cases.

I have only one SP currently and I don't find it problematic in the least. I work solo without SP on site so when he is on vacation we maintain the normal phone contact lines of communication. We also use EMR which he reviews if I need his input and we can communicate electronically for normal day in and day out interactions regardless of his whereabouts.

I have a really good referral network and emergency protocols in place for any urgent/emergent situations which my SP and I have discussed so we have a protocol for these sort of cases.

The issue for me is not OMG what do I do if a certainly medical situation comes up but compliance to regulations. While our state regs (Washington) says that you must have a form of contact (including phone) at all times, specifically they told me that if my SP was out of town i'm not to see patients. I found that to be contradictory but it is a mandate they've put on me and I just wondered how other PAs dealt with the issue. Thanks.

The issue for me is not OMG what do I do if a certainly medical situation comes up but compliance to regulations. While our state regs (Washington) says that you must have a form of contact (including phone) at all times, specifically they told me that if my SP was out of town i'm not to see patients. I found that to be contradictory but it is a mandate they've put on me and I just wondered how other PAs dealt with the issue. Thanks.

The Washington Medical Board specifically made exceptions of the normal rules and regs for your practice situation? Ouch!

I can't comment on this sort of mandate as I don't have those restrictions here in NC. Seems to me if you are running a practice solo (which I think you are?) the physical location of the SP isn't all that pertinent since he isn't on site anyway.

You really do need an alternate SP given this mandate of practice (or a SP that never takes a vacation) Good luck with this hurdle.

As a footnote, I was really irritated with Physicians Insurance company who persuaded my alternate SPs (which are my present SPs) not to be my alternate.

Yeah... they ARE something else... and the same insurance company referred to in post # 6 here

Seek clarification from HPQA... because I have been there and done that... and seem to remember having the understanding that it was actually 'if the SP was incapacitated/incommunicado'... NOT simply out of town.

When I worked under "remote-site" practice plans... I had SPs who went out of town and out of country, but kept their phones on during business/clinic hours.

Of course I could be wrong and we could have been breaking some rule/regulation... but its just not the way I remember the requirement. Then again... if they made up some special rule JUST FOR YOU and your practice... you may be right, but I'd contest it if it was made arbitrarily for you.

YMMV

Contrarian

Yeah... they ARE something else... and the same insurance company referred to in post # 6 here

Seek clarification from HPQA... because I have been there and done that... and seem to remember having the understanding that it was actually 'if the SP was incapacitated/incommunicado'... NOT simply out of town.

When I worked under "remote-site" practice plans... I had SPs who went out of town and out of country, but kept their phones on during business/clinic hours.

Of course I could be wrong and we could have been breaking some rule/regulation... but its just not the way I remember the requirement. Then again... if they made up some special rule JUST FOR YOU and your practice... you may be right, but I'd contest it if it was made arbitrarily for you.

YMMV

Contrarian

Looking back, I almost wish I had filed under the normal status which simply states we must have phone contact. My attorney read that as if my SP was in remote Mongolia on a pony, but had a satellite phone, then we would be fine. However, I had to do the one one approval via the remote site clause. They were on the edge of rejecting my request unless I demonstrated that I would have an alternate SP when mine was out of town or I would cease to see patients.

I have PI insurance right now but am trying hard to find a better one. They certainly have a very low view of PAs.

Archived