physician assistant literature

We should not ignore PA research by PhD PAs.  A PhD is the pinnacle of education.  Rod Hooker is a good example of a researcher who is a PhD PA. His studies are valid.

I have a few references and will post later from other sources. 

There was a study a few years ago showing American EM PAs were more efficient and self-sufficient than english EM MD residents, seeing similar acuity and higher #s of pts/shift.

Role of Physician Assistants in the accident and emergency departments in the UK
Ansari U, Ansari M, Gipson K. Accident and Emergency Department; Warwick Hospital, UK
Published in 11th International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Halifax, Nova SCotia, Canada, June 3-7 2006 and Journal of Canadian Emergency Medicine, May 2006, Vol 8 No 3 (Suppl) P583

Introduction: The Accident and Emergency departments in the UK are under severe pressure to expand their staffing levels in a bid to try and comply with the 98% target for 4-hour waiting times set by the government. Increasing staffing levels is proving to be very difficult when a majority of Staff Grades have already left or are leaving to become General Practitioners for financial gains and better working hours. This combined with a limited number of FY2 doctors being allowed to work in Accident and Emergency departments poses new challenges to staffing within Accident and Emergency. The objective of this study was to evaluate the training requirements, GMC regulations and supervision required to perform a suitable role in Accident and EMergency following the appointment of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital, Birmingham. Methods: The activities of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital were monitored for two months. All case records were reviewed and the number and type of patients seen by the assistants recorded. These were then compared with the records of those patients seen by Senior House Officers. Monitored information included number of patients seen, type of patients seen as well as the quality of the notes. Results: On average, Physician Assistants at City Hospital treated 3-5 patients/hour compared to 1.5-2.5/hour seen by Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants were able to deal with most medical, surgical, orthopaedic and gynaecological problems with minimal supervision. The medical records revealed that documentation was better by Physician Assistants. Conclusion: Senior Physician Assistants from the USA are an effective way to improve staffing within Accident and Emergency Departments with the UK. Physician Assistants saw more patients and required less supervision than Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants proved to be a cost effective method of supporting Accident and Emergency doctors at City Hospital, Birmingham.

Here's  a list of literature or policy papers written about PAs

NGA Paper: The Role of Physician Assistants in Health Care Delivery. September 2014  www.NGA.org   (National Governors Association)

VHA Directive 1063.  Utilization of Physician Assistants. December 24, 2013 Department of Veterans Affairs.

What is Driving U.S. Health Care Spending?  September 2012. Bipartisan Policy Center.  This is really interesting as it highlights America's unsustainable Health care costs growth.  PAs and NPs are mentioned on pg. 20, 21 regarding restrictions to SOP that add to the cost of healthcare.  It also states that "physicians order too many tests that add a burden to health care costs:.  

3 Short-Term Ways Hospitals Can Fight the Physician Shortage.  November 9, 2012. www.beckershospitalreview.com   This article discusses supporting the SOP for PAs/NPS and for hospitals to get INVOLVED on a legislative level to influence the SOP.

Primary Care Physician Shortages Could be Eliminated Through Use of Teams, Nonphysicians, and Electronic Communication.   Health Affairs, 32, no.1 (2013):11-19

Health Workforce Shortage Study Report.  Report to the Minnesota Legislature 2009.  Minnesota Department of Health. January 15, 2009.  It briefly discussed barriers to practice for PAs/NPs and makes recommendations to expand SOP, although it is NP centric with the recommendations.  (BTW, I believe NPs gained more autonomy if not full practice authority due to the influence of this report.  PAs didn't do as well due to Medical Board rules they are under.)

How PAs Improve Access to Care for the underserved.  Published in JAAPA, 2007 Jun; 20(6): 32, 34, 36.  Authors are MD, Phds and MSs, plus a student PA from Wake Forest University School of Medicine. 

Physician Assistants in emergency medicine; the impact of their role: Acad Emerg Med, 2011 Jan:18(1): 72-77

A National Review of rural health workforce issues in the USA.  MacDonald, Glasser, Fitts, Nielsen and Hunsaker. http://www.rrh.org.au  Published 26 July 2010  PAs and NPs are indirectly studied. 

Factors Associated with Physician Assistant Practice in Rural and Primary Care in Utah.  Coombs, Morgan, Pedersen, Koduri and Alder.  International Journal of Family Medicine Volume 2011, Article ID 879036

Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners as a Usual Source of Care.  J of Rural Health 2009 Fall: 25(4) 407-414 

Overcoming Barriers to Interprofessional Education.  President's Column in  Fam Med 2012;44(8)586-8.

Workforce Series: Physician Assistants.  From National Rural Health Association Policy Position, Paper #12.   (NRHA) 

I probably just gave a student a good list of rural health care resources for their research paper!  LOL!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yay for research about PAs! I myself am researching the PA profession, its unique identity, and its role in healthcare for my PhD project. To begin collecting data, I've created a brief, simple survey about general topics like - what you like most about being a PA, what the challenges are, and where you see the profession going in the future. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes of your time and all information is anonymized and protected (although I don't ask any personal information, anyway).

The ultimate goal of my project is to bring greater awareness to the profession, as most medical literature focuses almost exclusively on doctors and nurses. I believe these medical models are outdated, and PAs are leading the charge for more collaborative and effective healthcare. 

Please help me shine a light on the PA profession! Your help and voice are integral :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FX67PDN

Thanks for your help, 

Bridget 

PS. Here are a few articles about PAs that may be interesting for you: 

Druss et al (2003). Trends in Care by Nonphysician Clinicians in the United States. The New England Journal of Medicine, 130-137.

Buch, K., Genovese, M., Conigliaro, J., Nguyen, S., et al. (2008). Non-Physician Practitioners’ Overall Enhancement to a Surgical Resident’s Experience. Journal of Surgical Education, 65 (1), 50-53.

Jones, P. & Cawley, J. (2009). Workweek Restrictions and Speciality-Trained Physician Assistants: Potential Opportunities. Journal of Surgical Education, 66 (3), 152-157.

Sargen, M. Hooker, R., Cooper, R. (2011). Gaps in the Supply of Physicians, Advance Practice Nurses, and Physician Assistants. American College of Surgeons, 212 (6), 991-999.

Pezzi, C., Leibrandt, T., Suryadevara, S., et al. (2009). The Present and Future Use of Physician Extenders in General Surgery Training Programs: One Response to the 80-Hour Work Week. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 208 (4), 587-591.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I tend to think that the majority of PA literature is bland and expected. My personal favorite in relation to the capacity of PAs (and I've read ALOT of PA literature) is actually an article about an algorithm that I wrote to create a heirarchical edge bundle graph representing the neural network reconfiguration during PA school. Picture and link below:

Original Article HERE

EdgeBundleZoomed.png

• Upvote 1