Has anyone here gone through the Baylor ED residency?

EMEDPA, this is the link I found to what I believe is the civilian program. Your link does not seem to be working due to small differences in the URL.

https://www.bcm.edu/departments/medicine/sections-divisions-centers/emergency-medicine/education/physician-assistant-fellowship

I would like to find someone who has actually been through this program. It is difficult to find any references to it on this forum or elsewhere.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

I did not go there, but based on my experience with one of their graduates, I was not impressed, and that's all I'll say

ouch...we just hired a grad of the Iowa program and she is a rock star. If I were to do one at this point it would probably be Iowa as they focus on rural settings and solo coverage preparation. I'm already working solo, but like anyone can identify areas for potential improvement that a residency would meet. Outside of getting an entry level side job in critical care I can't think of any other way to get that experience. 1-2 day conferences with procedural skills stations are great, but what really cements these skills is repetition.

ouch...we just hired a grad of the Iowa program and she is a rock star. If I were to do one at this point it would probably be Iowa as they focus on rural settings and solo coverage preparation. I'm already working solo, but like anyone can identify areas for potential improvement that a residency would meet. Outside of getting an entry level side job in critical care I can't think of any other way to get that experience. 1-2 day conferences with procedural skills stations are great, but what really cements these skills is repetition.

That's cool.  I don't know much about the Iowa program honestly

I emailed them when I was applying to residencies and had some back and forth with the program director and a current resident.  I was not impressed with their offering.  It did not come across as being very structured or having solid off-service rotations.  The impression I got was you are there to fill a time slot first and then could branch out on your own time.

That's cool.  I don't know much about the Iowa program honestly

I interviewed at Iowa and it was an amazing experience. The PA staff there is great, the facilities are amazing. They have everything you need to be successful. I plan on applying there upon graduation. Iowa City is a nice smaller town with plenty to do in the free time you would have. Their PA program is very progressive and incorporates med students and PA students the entire didactic year. I would imagine this would create a better environment while doing the residency there. 

• 5 months later...

I graduated a year ago. It was good. I thought it was useful, but there are probably more structured programs out there. I had been in practice 5 years when I did the program. I now have 2 rural solo coverage jobs that I can't imaging doing without having done the program there. Biggest thing it did for me was build confidence. I'd do it again. Was satisfied with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I graduated a year ago. It was good. I thought it was useful, but there are probably more structured programs out there. I had been in practice 5 years when I did the program. I now have 2 rural solo coverage jobs that I can't imaging doing without having done the program there. Biggest thing it did for me was build confidence. I'd do it again. Was satisfied with it.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived