Is locums work reliable? Considering first-time locums...

I have spent the last 10 years working in full-time and per diem positions, and am trying to get out of a bad work situation where I have been for the last 4 months where they clearly hired me prematurely, before there was enough volume to support having a PA and where they have never had a PA before, so I am constantly hearing it about productivity that I can't even control because it depends on the practice managers and the surgeons to figure out how to capture volume, etc.  They have been constantly warning that a consulting firm is coming in any day now to "trim the fat" so to speak, and the tone is very nasty, as if I somehow were responsible that they can't get this place off the ground.  Despite having $1500 CME money per fiscal year as part of my compensation package, I was told by the director when asking for reimbursement for my license and for 2 specialty-specific books I bought (total of $84) that the license reimbursement was approved but he will review the request for the book reimbursement with the consulting firm.  These people clearly do not understand anything about PA practice, and this director is nasty and yells about the financial problems frequently, and is constantly telling everyone in the office how "nobody's job is safe."  I cannot stay here, and need to get out ASAP.  I am working on returning to my previous hospital in a different department (meeting scheduled this week) - I am hoping re-credentialing will be more abbreviated since I have only worked at this other place since I left.

I have been browsing the web for locums jobs, but have never done this.  It feels like I am stepping out into nothing, and I've finally taken calls from some of the recruiters that call all the time.  I have been warned re: the issues with working under a 1099, and that you don't have workmen's comp or unemployment ins.  Also, if you are at a position and their needs suddenly change, can they get rid of you and leave you high and dry?  How does this work?  I think if I could just have this meeting with the old hospital this Friday, start my credentialing process with one or several? locums agencies (which I hope will only take a couple of weeks, some seem to take longer), and once I have some sort of locums gig confirmed and am credentialed, resign ASAP and give a couple of weeks notice or something.  I am not planning on asking these people for a reference.

Any suggestions?  Would really appreciate some guidance here.  Thanks, everyone.

I worked for a locums company for about 3 years and the work was reliable for me.  I was able to take whatever shifts I wanted and the locums work was in ER/UC.  The company I worked for was small and started locally by 2 PAs so it might be different for you.    The locums company provided malpractice insurance, the contract included SPs, and it was  a 1099.  I only worked 4-6 days a month to supplement income and to pay for my kid's college.

Locums can be ok and you might really like it.  1099 means you have to pay all your social security wages, fed and state taxes, and other expenses so the hourly wage you receive is very important that you get paid enough to cover taxes.  Locums can be a stop-gap for you as you look for full time work and get you out of the H-hole you are in. 

If you step back into practice with your former employer make sure that is where you want to be.  You left there for a reason, right?

Plus, if your current employer lays you off you should qualify for unemployment insurance and you need to apply for it.  

Thanks to all of you for your input.  Paula, I left the previous employer because my supervising MD's contract was not renewed, and a second surgeon also resigned at the same time, bringing the already low surgical volume even lower such that I was told informally that there wouldn't be much of a need for a PA going forward, so I moved on (somewhat similar situation to now).  They are currently hiring in their ED, which I think would be a great fit for me (I've done perdiem ED work and have several years of surgical experience, and I want to work more autonomously, among other reasons).

Liz - all depends on where you are, the demand in that area, and how much you are willing to travel.  It would be hard for me to work full time locums within the city I live in, or an hours drive (unless I wanted to do all nights).  However if I drive up to 4.5 hours (one way) I can work as much as I want.  I'm sure your area is different.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done locums work. there are pros & cons.

locums agencies will provide you with lodging and mileage if you are outside of a commutable distance. you can easily find positions with surg/ED/UC which allow you to work 3-12s, 7-12s (1 week on, 1 week of), etc. the beauty is that you tell the agency what you can do for scheduling - what you want - and they can usually work it out for you.

I would stay away from the 1099s bc it is illegal to hire PAs as independent contractors, and, as was mentioned, you pay all your payroll taxes etc and have to file quarterly. you pay about 7.5% more in taxes bc the employer does not split the SS withholdings with you, as they do when you are employed. so yes, do calculate an additional % above your normal rate to save and serve as a "slush fund" to pay your taxes quarterly.

you have no workmen's comp protection.

most offer malpractice (I wouldn't work for one that doesn't), some offer medical ins either straight off the bat or after some period of steady work with them (3 mos, I think), but you get few other benefits, other than the luxury of setting your own schedule and being able to move on if you don't like it.

aureus is a very nice agency and hires PAs as W2s.

I don't know that you have any liability working as an independent contractor (1099) unless your licence doesn't allow it under state law. You just need to be sure to pay all the appropriate taxes. As long as you pay all your taxes, taxing authorities have no basis on which to penalize you. It may be illegal by some statute to hire a PA under a 1099 as many states have their own laws defining "statutory" employees. These rules can be complex but the liability for non compliance is on the "employer" because they aren't collecting and remitting taxes. These laws also, ostensibly, protect statutory "employees."

If you work locums or 1099, keep in mind that the rule of thumb is that "benefits" cost an employer typically around 30% of wages. That includes FICA and other employment taxes, vacations, sick pay, family leave, retirement (if any), various insurances, CME, etc. Working 1099, you get none of that, so you need to get an hourly amount that includes enough to cover you. e.g if salaried employees are making $50/hr, you should receive around $65/hr as a 1099 contractor. If you work for a locums agency, some benefits may be covered by the agency so you could adjust accordingly.

As with all issues that involve licensing, taxes, etc, it helps to get professional advice.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

I found this link to an article about PAs as independent contractors. It's a very complex issue and it appears that, in most instances, it can't be done without exposing the employer to a variety of tax and other legal (malpractice) liabilities, but it may be possible under some very specific circumstances, which are difficult to meet.

http://issuu.com/paassist/docs/independent_contracting_-_appendix_g

Archived