A question about the future of PAs

I was not sure where to put this post or if people have written about it already, so please redirect me if necessary.

I think it is wonderful all of the great "press" PAs have been getting recently as being the number one job/best job for 2015. I have also noticed that new PA schools are being established, and applicants per year are rising. To me the future of the PA profession looks great, but is there a chance it could get saturated before how long would that be? Also, many jobs ask for a NP or a PA. Will there be competition from NPs, and is it possible we will see a saturation of mid-levels in general. 

I ask this due to the trend we saw with pharmacy. 

I would love insights to these questions and from people who have different perspectives on this issue. 

I can only guess about the next decade or so. It does look bright. When you look at the numbers of the aging baby boomers, the retiring physicians, the predicted shortages of providers, I can't see any slowing down for ten years at least.  Health care is also going through some big changes and it isn't clear how this will end. But for now, physician satisfaction is at an all time low. A family practice physician can't make money as easy as they could in the past UNLESS they hire a PA or NP or 4-5 of them. So fewer physicians will want to go into family medicine and those who do will hire NPs and PAs.

Of course this can vary a lot on location. The location can be determined by state legislation and by local culture. For example, in some big medical centers where nurses rule, there has been administrated changes away from PAs to NPs.  But there is job security for several decades to come.

FWIW applicants have been asking this question every year for the past 15 yrs I have been in the profession, and we have not nearly reached a saturation point

Big city markets may have salary depression because of local surplus of PAs, but nationwide there is plenty of work

We doubled ranks over 10 yrs, it is still growing

Archived