Epocrates Essential app worth it?

Has anyone used the Epocrates essential app? Its $170 a year and I was wondering if anyone found this worth the money at all? I have UpToDate and that seems pretty good. Are there any other free/paid (worth it) apps out there anyone has experience with? I'm more than willing to pay for it if its worth it. Also, anyone know of a good drug reference app?

Epocrates has added a bunch of content to the the free basic app and rebranded it as premium.

The content appears reasonable and useful.

2 things about Epocrates.

It is now part of athenahealth, an EHR vendor, looks like they are trying to import Epocrates into the EHR as a decision making tool to help meet MU criteria.

Also Epocrates takes sponsored money. That means big pharma money. So they track your data usage and sell it to companies. 

You should understand that Epocrates is part marketing & research tool in exchange for being a reference.

That is why it costs $160 per year vs $500 for UTD.

G Brothers PA-C

Medscape = my favorite app and it is free.  Has drugs and conditions.

I use AgileMD and have their free apps plus their in and out pt handbooks ($20 each).  Great for quick look up and also when writing orders or meds, reviewing to see if you missed anything.

I have the free epocrates app which is not very useful.  Personally I would recommend Medscape, AgileMD and get the in or out pt (or both) paid apps, and then a $20 or so abx guide, especially if you have UpToDate at work already.  Granted I have no experience with the paid epocrates app, but this is just my opinion.

Medscape = my favorite app and it is free.  Has drugs and conditions.

I use AgileMD and have their free apps plus their in and out pt handbooks ($20 each).  Great for quick look up and also when writing orders or meds, reviewing to see if you missed anything.

I have the free epocrates app which is not very useful.  Personally I would recommend Medscape, AgileMD and get the in or out pt (or both) paid apps, and then a $20 or so abx guide, especially if you have UpToDate at work already.  Granted I have no experience with the paid epocrates app, but this is just my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. Medscape looks good, I'll for sure check that out. I was thinking about using Sanford's for abx. I have the book but its a huge pain in the ass to learn if no one sits down and teaches it to you. If I had time, it wouldn't be an issue. So I am not sure how the app compares. I'll definitely look into the AgileMD stuff, never heard of that before. 

• 2 weeks later...

allow me to offer the cranky old guy low tech option. tarason pharmacopea. http://www.tarascon.com/products/details.aspx/05756-0

updated yearly. works even without batteries! no black out areas! you can drop it. you can step on it. I have this in my pocket every shift(although I just started having to use cheaters to read it...sigh....)

I use zero phone medical apps, although I do use up to date, etc on actual computers...

I use the free epocrates app and like it and think it is useful.  I also use the free Medscape reference.  I use the free ASCVD app.  I use the free AHRQ ePSS (USPSTF Preventive Services database).I use a free ECG app.  I use a free anatomy app.  I use a free pre-op assessment app. 

Does anyone detect a pattern here? 

I did break down and buy the iGeriatrics app for $1.99 and it just about nearly killed me. 

allow me to offer the cranky old guy low tech option. tarason pharmacopea. http://www.tarascon.com/products/details.aspx/05756-0

updated yearly. works even without batteries! no black out areas! you can drop it. you can step on it. I have this in my pocket every shift(although I just started having to use cheaters to read it...sigh....)

I use zero phone medical apps, although I do use up to date, etc on actual computers...

Big fan of pharmacopea, got it as a gift. The apps are great in case I leave the books at home and for random curiosity/confirmation checks while studying. I'd prefer to use the pocketbooks in clinic as my phone double as a toy for my kid. 

Archived