Keeping licenses in other states

Last year I worked in a different (neighboring) state. My license where I worked previously is up for renewal. I don't plan on working there any time soon but renewal fee is only $50. Should I keep (due to hassle of getting it again should something come up) it or let it expire? What do others do?

• Administrator

Yes, keep it.  Odds are (consult your tax adviser...) that it may be deductible on your taxes as a professional expense.  My rule is always keep anything where all I have to do is pay the money, and mostly keep anything where the extra work (CME/CPE) will help me in one of my jobs.  I just let a professional Infosec certification lapse at the end of last year, because I acquired a fourth one and only felt like keeping three of them at $80+ each yearly maintenance fees, and because I would have had to go out of my way to get extra CPE to keep it.

I still keep my EMT, though, both state and National Registry.  Can't see dropping that any time soon.

The single digit WI license must be vintage!!!!  I have 2  and will keep both, at least for awhile.  I live in border states.  Both licenses are over $100 tho. 

Archived