Annual Cost Of Living Increase?

For those practicing PAs...Is it customary to receive an annual cost of living salary increase? If so, is this in addition to any yearly salary increase? How receptive are employers to a set percentage increase for cost of living on an annual basis? Is this the norm for the profession?

Looking forward to hearing from many of you.

have only gotten this once in my life  something like 1.5%

(in 13 yr career)

I have found we are hidden to the small practice owners - we don't fit in the employee category (but they force us into this role) and we don't fit into owner/partner role (and they will actively try to exclude us from this club) so they just try to ignore us (a 3% raise on someone making 30k year is a lost less money then a 3% raise on someone making 100k) and many times will......

If you can negotiate a COLA raise you are better then I was....  however I would go for the productivity raise.....

Up until this year most years I have received a cost of living raise, I actually just posted about this in another forum.  It does not seem like it is necessarily standard though. If you have not negotiated a production based bonus I would look into doing that if you are a year or two out of school.  I can say my pay has been stagnant for the last 5 years, I do think at some point you hit a ceiling on what a group or Physician is going to pay you.  As far as pay the best group I worked for was an Interventional Radiology group.  We received the same benefits as the Physicians (18% of pay into our 401k) which is unheard of....annual raises and paid for any extra weekend time.  It was not a good fit for me as I did not enjoy procedures at all, but I did this 8 years ago and was offered almost 100k per year then. 

This is just to say it seems like pay/benefits and raises vary tremendously.  If you want an increase you will probably have to ask for it

Archived