Advice from Current PAs

Hi everyone,

I am currently a middle school teacher looking to change careers. I worked in the ER as a scribe for several years while in college. I thought about becoming a PA then, but decided against it because I am kind of queasy around blood. Long story short, I became a teacher and am finding myself unhappy with it. I have been thinking about how much more I looked forward to my ER shifts than I do my teaching job and wondering if maybe PA school is the right path after all.

I wanted to hear from PAs who have been working for several years- Did you have any initial queasiness when you were observing that went away (when you were doing the procedures or otherwise)?  Do you find that being a PA does give you the lateral mobility that MD/DO does not? Did you find that one area interested you more than others anyway? Is PA a career that you would recommend to others (I am not going to go to med school, so this is not a "should I just go to med school" question)? What did you do prior to school that you thought was most valuable (in terms of HCE, classes, shadowing, etc.)?  Finally, do you think it "matters" where you go for PA school (do you have an easier time finding a job/feel that you are better trained because of where you went)? What would you look for in a PA school if you could go again (dissection/prosection/sim cadaver? online courses? MPH dual degree?)?

Please let me know!

Thank you!

Archived