New York Presbyterian Hospital Residency?

Hey guys,

There are some awesome stories and updates about people's residency experience. Is there anyone out there who went through New York Pres? The information in their website is pretty simple, and I'm sure everyone is dying to know how awesome the learning experience is :)

If you are other there. I'm interested!

Thanks,

BelgianPA

Ya I was looking into the EM residency at New York Pres, which rotates through the IM I think. There probably aren't that many people that have gone through it, but it would have been awesome to get an inside look ;)

If you are out there, I'm still interested :)

P.S.

When I saw that long response I got really excited!

It seems like most of them that I talk to have enjoyed the residency, you're in the ER a total of 6 months I think, and then rotate through other services the rest of the time (there with Internal Medicine 5d/week for 8 hours doing admits to the service which is one of their lighter roations, CT Surgery is upwards of 60h/week) ... I did meet one that said he was better off just getting an ER job right out of school given the low pay, and still others have said it's good if you don't know what you wanna do given that you'll rotate through the different services as more than a student and find your niche... 3 out of 4 of them stayed last year and took ED spots, year before that 1 stayed I ED (1 came to IM, the other took a burn unit job in Pennsylvania)... financially, if you have the year, I'd say do it but it's a lot of work for a little pay and if you know you want ED, find a good teaching ED and pick up overtime as well as try to join resident teaching lectures/seminars, probably would be similar to a residency with much more....incentive ($$$!)

if you know you want ED, find a good teaching ED and pick up overtime as well as try to join resident teaching lectures/seminars, probably would be similar to a residency with much more....incentive ($$$!)

not even close. A residency is structured learning. an em job is "moving the meat" with no guarantee you will ever get specific procedures or see certain types of pts. You could work in em for 10 years and never do an intubation, central line, paracentesis, be involved in a code, see an MI, DKA, etc etc if all those things were designated as "physician level" activities' (and they are at many places.). They typical em pa job for new grads is fast track with maybe some belly pain.

If money is a big issue the em pa residency on staten island pays 60k, which is a lot more liveable than 42.

If I graduated today I would do a residency without a doubt. I would apply to at least 5 to increase my chances of getting in. If I didn't get in the first time around I would reapply every year until I did.

@EMEDPA That's exactly what I'm afraid off--being stuck in fast track, only treating the same type of symptoms, and not practicing at the top my licenses--and from where I stand it sounds like a residency would expose me to so much more. Those first few years out of school are so valuable to lay down a solid foundation from which the rest is built on.

What procedures/area of EM do you think PA should invest their time and how those skills?

not even close. A residency is structured learning. an em job is "moving the meat" with no guarantee you will ever get specific procedures or see certain types of pts. You could work in em for 10 years and never do an intubation, central line, paracentesis, be involved in a code, see an MI, DKA, etc etc if all those things were designated as "physician level" activities' (and they are at many places.). They typical em pa job for new grads is fast track with maybe some belly pain.

If money is a big issue the em pa residency on staten island pays 60k, which is a lot more liveable than 42.

If I graduated today I would do a residency without a doubt. I would apply to at least 5 to increase my chances of getting in. If I didn't get in the first time around I would reapply every year until I did.

Fair enough, ^ this @BelgianPA... I speak from an IM standpoint which is very different when it comes to autonomy, aka "stuff we get to do" (especially in NYC)... if the above: intubation, central line, paracentesis, be involved in a code, see an MI, DKA, etc etc is your goal (as it should be), PM me regarding the residency

• 2 weeks later...

The NYP is a great residency program if anyone is interested. I did spend time down there with the residents and the directors who are both fantastic. If you are interested in doing a residency I think one much consider this program.

I do know someone currently doing the residency there and they had nothing but the highest marks for the program. My only concern in looking at residencies was opportunity. If I recall there program is rather big...(6-8 residents I think).

As far as residencies, I'm currently at the AMC Fellowship (Please see topic link), but I can tell you the seasoned PA's I work with in the ED and other PA's I've talked to in other specialities all have said they wish they could have had this experience when they were beginning their careers.

Archived