I usually print out the PowerPoints as an outline and take notes on the sides and then make flash cards for the microbes but I feel like I end up missing information! Not to mention that you can only put so much onto a flash card for a microbe! Help!! What study tips did you use for your microbiology course?! Please and thank you!!

Melanie

I've never used flash cards and so I can't comment on if they help or not. Here was how I tackled Micro and I think I did a pretty good job of it:

1) Organize microbes into tables/charts-- Ex. Top of table 1. Staph aureus: Gram (+) cocci (nonmotile, nonsporeforming, facultative anaerobe) 

2) Add characteristics and transmission into first row: Ex. Staph aureus: clusters, Catalase/Coagulase (+) (causes coagulation), normal flora in skin/nose, spread through lesions/fomites

3) Add diseases and infections into second row: Ex. Staph aureus: skin infx-- impetigo, cellulitis, erysipelas, furuncle, carbuncle; acute endocarditits-- IVDU, Pneumonia-- causing cavitations and effusions; Osteomyelitis/septic arthritis-- elderly/immunodeficient; Food poisoning-- 1-8 hr onset vomiting....ETC ETC ETC

4) Last row, treatment/prevention: Ex. Staph aureus: MSSA-- penicillinase production: use beta-lactamase inhibitor (amox/clav, amp/sulbactam) or use a penicillinase-resistant PCN (oxacillin/naf), MRSA-- depends on area and community/hospital acquired-- TMP/SMX, clinda, tetracyclines, vanco ALWAYS get C&S... etc etc etc 

So in summary, get the important facts down that you will more than likely be tested on and quizzed on by preceptors and the boards.

Most of the stuff in Micro is a building block for infectious disease treatment for the rest of your career... so get it down!

Also, just another plug and this goes for ALL STUDENTS: complete the Stanford Antimicrobial Stewardship course that is online FOR FREE! It is invaluable in explaining ABX and their effects on humans and the microbials. I learned a ton when I went through it and you can't beat a free online class that is done at your own pace from some great teachers at Stanford. DO IT! Link here: https://www.coursera.org/course/antimicrobial

There is an art to making functional flash cards and it has a lot to do with the above suggestion of breaking the organisms down into functional table formats.  Blow the info out across a table, rework the table to encompass the necessary categories, then each box should almost generate a flash card or two for you.

• 2 weeks later...

i second the use of sketchy micro. you can chip in with a few classmates and share it so its cheaper.

pro: really really really useful for retaining information about bacteria.

cons: i dont think they cover viruses or fungi yet. also, sketchymicro may not cover all the bacteria covered in your course.

i still highly recommend it. used it last semester.

sketchymicro.com is an excellent supplement, especially if you are a visual learner. Hope it helps!

i second the use of sketchy micro. you can chip in with a few classmates and share it so its cheaper.

pro: really really really useful for retaining information about bacteria.

cons: i dont think they cover viruses or fungi yet. also, sketchymicro may not cover all the bacteria covered in your course.

i still highly recommend it. used it last semester.

Thank you!

mlmpa

Archived