Number of breaks in a day?

I work in FP and If the time was not super specific, I could easily break away for 3-5 mins twice a day.  My patients are not acutely ill and could wait for an extra 3 mins for me to take care of something.  I imagine that you shouldn't have a problem making that a priority in most FP practices. YMMV

I work in FP and If the time was not super specific, I could easily break away for 3-5 mins twice a day.  My patients are not acutely ill and could wait for an extra 3 mins for me to take care of something.  I imagine that you shouldn't have a problem making that a priority in most FP practices. YMMV

Honestly FP sounds interesting to me for quite a few reasons but a lot of people seem to discourage me from it because of the salary. Is it true most FP PAs never really break above 90-95k? I'd have a hard time paying back debt, in the time I'd like, if I was at 80k for a decade after PA school.

That's inappropriate.  I didn't suggest the OP change to my religion. I think it's far more appropriate to recognize the value of a strongly held religious belief system--even if you or I happen to hold different ones--in the delivery of care.  Viewing one's desire to heal others as a religious calling rather than simply a humanitarian or (eww) financially rewarding career field places the OP's motivation in an entirely different league.

Would you tell a patient to change his or her religion?

I believe my piece of advice would literally solve the OP's problem so it would be everything BUT inappropriate. But thanks for taking the bait anyway. And no I would NOT tell a patient to change his or her religion because they are not a random internet PA asking questions about breaks in a day secondary to religious issues.

• Administrator

I believe my piece of advice would literally solve the OP's problem so it would be everything BUT inappropriate. But thanks for taking the bait anyway. And no I would NOT tell a patient to change his or her religion because they are not a random internet PA asking questions about breaks in a day secondary to religious issues.

Oh, wow! I've been trolled!  How ever will I cope with being publicly shamed by a witty forum poster who thought it would be good sport to denigrate another poster's religion?

Actually, I think I'll get over it just fine.  My response to your original troll stands unmodified.

@Derbingle summed up my thoughts well. The difficulty I see here is any "regularly scheduled" part. 3-5 mins is short enough so you should be able to take that time in between patients, but in my experience the first thing that vanishes in medical work is a predictable schedule.

I am the provider in a one-provider walk-in clinic, covering the 9 hours the clinic is open. I aim at officially not seeing patients for half an hour somewhere between 1-2 pm, and use that time to chart, make phone calls and eat. I say "aim at," because medical urgencies come up fairly often. If I needed to, I could take 3-5 mins a couple of times during my day most days, but it could not be at predictable times.

If it is really important to you you can make it happen.  I would stay away from the ED (you can't walk away from a code) or surgery (ditto with the OR).  It would be unusual to be criticized for taking 4 minutes off.  Finding a private place that is not the bathroom might be an obstacle.   

most hospitals have chapels or meditation rooms, or "serenity gardens", stuff like that. I think any person with deep religious beliefs cannot be prevented from practicing them...that is against the law. I think that being up front about this (once hired, no need to talk religion in an interview; that too is illegal for them to ask about) and just telling them you will need to take 2 5m breaks/day to practice your religious beliefs is not a lot to ask. 

but not in ED, ICU, surgery...high acuity settings, no.

why don't you start a thread about this? you might find many other muslim providers (medicine is a VERY cosmopolitan profession). I'm being serious. you could title it "practicing your (muslim) faith during work hours".

I have worked with many muslim PAs and if they were disappearing for 5m to pray, I never noticed. they were good PAs - THAT's what I noticed! :)

primary care is probably your best bet for a few short breaks/day.

ER/surgery/critical care have quite variable demands on your time. I have a friend who is a derm PA who sees a new pt every 10 min and has a scribe do the notes for him. he gets an hr for lunch but zero breaks besides this.

I shadowed a ortho PA yesterday. There were easily multiple times in the day where he could have taken 5 min out of his day. I've also shadowed docs in pain medicine which is similar to the type of work this PA was doing. The doc I shadowed was literally a revolving a door that spent ~3 mins per patient and moved to the next with zero breaks. This PA spent like 15 min per patient just chatting about the wheather and other trivial things. Im sure if I just avoid that I could easily get through each patient in half the time.

When I worked in a an inpatient transplant specialty in NYC I worked with a young woman who was a devout Muslim and prayed throughout the day. We had a small office and before her charting and note writing she would sometimes pray. She was always very respectful about it and would ask us if it was ok before hand, which it was.

Point I'm trying to make is she went into this specialty service because that's what she wanted to do, and not because it would accommodate her praying schedule. She was very devout, though never let the need to pray get in the way of her patient care. If a patient was crashing, she was always the first one to be there. My best advice is to seek positions which you feel passionate about and have an actual desire to work in, then when you interview be UP FRONT and honest with your future boss about your needs. They will usually be very candid about weather or not they can accommodate you. I personally would he very peeved if I hired a PA, then later found out he not only tried to hide the fact that he had these special needs, but more that he only picked my specialty because he thought it would accommodate them. And you definitely don't want a termination on your recorded, no they can't terminate you because of your religion, but if they want to get rid of you bosses can always find something.

Good luck.

Archived