take home pay

Can figure this out on your own.

Go to:

https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

Fill in salary #s and frequency.

Fill out the other particulars.

Common other deductions include 401k, health insurance.

Max 401k contribution 2015 is 18k, so $750 per pay period based upon 24 pay periods a year.

Health insurance approx $100 contribution per pay period.

So.....

Using above, state of CA, salary 100k, 1 exemption, above deductions pretax

Take home twice a month is 2229.07

Good luck.

GB PA-C

• 1 year later...

So, plugged in the 100K for various states. It seems regardless of where you live, federal, SS, medicaid, state taxes cut the take home by 30K minimum. In Cali, according to your calculation, roughly 53K/yr. Depressing

Can figure this out on your own.

Go to:

https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

Fill in salary #s and frequency.

Fill out the other particulars.

Common other deductions include 401k, health insurance.

Max 401k contribution 2015 is 18k, so $750 per pay period based upon 24 pay periods a year.

Health insurance approx $100 contribution per pay period.

So.....

Using above, state of CA, salary 100k, 1 exemption, above deductions pretax

Take home twice a month is 2229.07

Good luck.

GB PA-C

• Administrator

So, plugged in the 100K for various states. It seems regardless of where you live, federal, SS, medicaid, state taxes cut the take home by 30K minimum. In Cali, according to your calculation, roughly 53K/yr. Depressing

Let me guess... you've never held a real job before, right?

This is not unique to the PA profession.

Wait till the IRS wants even more after you file!!

I generally bring home 70-75% of gross and my husband carries our insurance thru his union or I would bring home less.

And then the IRS says we make too much to itemize and I pay a CPA to tell me all this rockin' news.

I don't want to adult today. Please don't make me adult today.....

I've held many professional jobs before entering PA school. However, none with a salary greater than 60K. I'm on rotations and was looking at average salaries per state. You can imagine my shocking disdain.

Let me guess... you've never held a real job before, right?

This is not unique to the PA profession.

• Administrator

I've held many professional jobs before entering PA school. However, none with a salary greater than 60K. I'm on rotations and was looking at average salaries per state. You can imagine my shocking disdain.

That's a rough awakening, then.  The way deductions and whatnot work, taxes actually paid rises very steeply as you creep into the "upper middle class" range, and then it all seems to level off once you can afford an accountant to hide things in Belize or wherever.

The upside of my case, coming from IT into medicine, is that I get paid less and hence taxed less.  No more windfall taxes on a same-day-exercise-and-sell-for-cash... because I have no stock options!

Archived