H1B Visa for a PA.

Are there any Canadian/International PA's out there who are working in Washington state? If so did anyone have any problems getting sponsored for their H1B visa?

Im currently on "Optional Practical Training", which gives me permission to work anywhere in the United States as a PA for 1 year. This permit is used as a buffer to help me set up a H1B visa with my employer. Once getting a H1B I plan to apply for my green card.

I had a phone conversation with a potential employer who told me I would only be able to find work in an underserved area. This is fine by me as i am willing to relocate anywhere within the state, but it narrows down my job search significantly.

Anyone else have this problem? Im going to continue searching for jobs anywhere but it was a little unsettling as i need a job asap.

I am currently trying to find a job anywhere in the state. Im a new grad thats looking for an emergency medicine/urgent care job but am also open to other specialties.

Thanks for any help!

You should look into whether practicing as a PA in the USA qualifies as a profession eligible for a TN visa through NAFTA - this might be the quickest and easiest way to go if PA is an eligible profession. I"m not sure if it is. It seems to me that the process of eligibility for an H1B can be quite lengthy and difficult. The employer has to prove that they are unable to hire a suitable American candidate...

I'm Canadian, but I had a green card before starting PA school, so don't have any idea how it might work for you. I found the officers at the crossing in Blaine WA to be surprisingly helpful though. You might check with them.

Best of luck

FYI- While it is a clause for an H1B that they have to prove that they can't hire an American candidate in actuality it is a VERY easy process. The employer just needs an advertisement in the paper and thats it. And he just needs to state that the other people that applied don't meet what he wants (and doesn't have to show any record of even who applied). My dad was on an H1B when we came to America and, for reference, he got sponsored for a job that 22 other american citizens applied for and he still got the job.

Second of all, you don't only have to narrow your search to underserved positions. That potential employer is ill-informed and while it is easier to find a job in an underserved position, there is no federal/state regulation that stops you from taking any job as a PA. Many institutions don't file H1's and that may be a barrier but there are several that will. Also, there is also no reason a doc in private practice can't file for an H1 for ya.

Third of all, find a (GOOD) immigration lawyer in your area well-versed in H1B employment and consult with him. You'll save a load of money and headache overtime.

I am a Canadian who is looking to apply to Medex eventually and subsequently live in BC and work in WA. I was under the impression that as a Canadian trained PA you can only work in Canada but if you train in the states you can work in both countries. I'm pretty sure this is what is on the CAPA website. I've never heard of the Optional Practice Training thingy but I'd be concerned about getting your green card and whether you would even be able to because your training (from what I understand) doesn't allow you to sit for the US PA National Exam. I'd love to hear more if anyone has any further info!

Archived