PA piece on NBC

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/aging-tsunami-crisis-grows-search-help-n267106

ugh the dreaded 's

and this line.... ugh   nothing like comparing us to what we are not

Now a physician's assistant, Wittkopp has for 14 years been the closest thing to a doctor in McCone County,

and again

"It used to be everyone wanted to be the old country doctor," said Sandra Janzen, a traveling physician's assistant who worked in Circle for a decade. "That breed is dead."

and it gets worse

Federal rules required a mid-level provider, like a PA, 

Then they go on to say they hired a PA that just finished medical school but needed to work prior to starting residency....  geez.....

Nice to see that the PA can do it, but not a very flattering article.  Left me thinking we are just a poor substitue for a doc..... which is simply not true, and a misrepresentation of what we do. 

Instead of making it seem horrible, they should focus on the fact that PAs have and will continue to be part of the solution, we just need more of them!

Now a physician's assistant, Wittkopp has for 14 years been the closest thing to a doctor in McCone County,

Taking an oncology PA and putting him in rural primary care solo practice with no assistance/backup is a joke.  There's no way in hell they are qualified to handle that kind of position.  I can guarantee you the PA/MD dude will never come back to that town after finishing residency.

This isnt rocket science folks.  There are plenty of primary care PAs who will gladly work in that town for 150k.  Hell you'd have to pay a doc 300k to get them to work in that rural craphole.  

My guess is that the CEO of the medical center is lowballing offers, probably at 80k and then they wonder why they cant find any PAs to take that position.

Archived