new grad derm negotiations

Was offered a new grad dermatology job at a brand new practice for 60k with benefits for the first year of training, etc. After the first year it goes up to 75k plus bonus.

The 60k really worries me but dermatology is very hard to get into in the area that I live in. This is the only derm job that has been available to new grads in the past 6 months over all job boards

What do you all think?

I think you should be offended by that offer, but I think you are already aware of this.

Even after the first year, you are only at 75k (which is much closer to where you should be for year 1) plus said bonus, with no details on the structure of the bonus and no idea if you will meet production goals. 

I definitely understand how difficult dermatology is to break in to, but don't sell yourself short and devalue the profession as a whole by entertaining such an awful offer. Do your research and present solid data to this potential employer with more realistic and fair numbers.

If you have your heart set on dermatology and it is the only thing you want to do..... you must be prepared to relocate. If your current location is your number one priority, then you should expand your search outside of dermatology. You have to be realistic about the situation.

Where are you located?

If this was an easy area of medicine to get into, I would say don't accept the position,  but because I have seen how difficult it is to get into derm, I would say consider taking it. You can work there and gain very valuable experience and then eventually move on to a higher paying job in dermatology. The experience is what is key. Most derm jobs want a minimum of 1 yr of dermatology or surgical experience. Make certain you can pay your bills while you are there. With that said, you have to be willing to leave when your salary isn't increasing the way you would like and be willing to move to where the jobs are. 

I started a thread similar to this a few months ago, and my derm offer for a year of training was $35,000. If I had your offer, I would have taken it. Derm is so desirable. After one year, if your bonus doesn't add up to what you want, you can walk with the experience and pick whatever derm job comes along. Also, once you're in, you will make connections and more doors will open. 

I ultimately chose another specialty. In my case the pay was insulting. That's my two cents. You have to follow your gut.

• 2 weeks later...

SarahAnne,   

What did you end up deciding?  Were you able to counter-offer?  I think the bottom line is whether or not you will be able to survive off of this salary and if it is worth it with what you will actually take home.  This offer definitely devalues the profession, but there are some good points about the dermatology specialty being a hard one to break into, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should have to sacrifice our ability to support ourselves and pay back our loans at the same time.  Can they even guarantee enough patient volume in the second year, if it's a new practice, to make sure that your productivity bonus makes up for the low salary?  

I'd like to know what you decided, I am looking for derm jobs as a new grad as well!  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

update: I continued to interview and was offered an urgent care position starting at over 100k so I took that. I still want to end up in dermatology but like many of you said, I needed to be realistic about my financial situation and paying back loans. I am trying to pay back all my student loans in 2 years and with this urgent care position where I can pick up as many shifts as I want, this is feasible.

The dermatologist looking to hire me was a bit unorganized and did not have answers to many of my questions such as health insurance, malpractices, etc. and had to continue to research all these areas. Understandable for a new practice but then again this also says a lot about the doctor. I did try to counter the offer but it was non-negotiable but my pay would increase to 75k with bonus after the 1st year (but this was no where in writing). It would have been nice to start my derm career on the ground floor with a physician opening their first office but with timing was just not right. 

In the end I hope I made the right decision! 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I started a thread similar to this a few months ago, and my derm offer for a year of training was $35,000. If I had your offer, I would have taken it. Derm is so desirable. After one year, if your bonus doesn't add up to what you want, you can walk with the experience and pick whatever derm job comes along. Also, once you're in, you will make connections and more doors will open. 

I ultimately chose another specialty. In my case the pay was insulting. That's my two cents. You have to follow your gut.

I worked at a McDonald 17 years ago and remember making more than that lol how do employers offer such a salary with straight face ? ! haha 

• 5 weeks later...

Well you deserve much more than $60K, but weigh out your expenses from your quality of life, loans etc. and figure out if you would be taking a hit on your life by that salary.  If it's your dream job and your salary will jump soon AND you can afford the life you want then go for it.  That said, you do definitely deserve more.

Archived