Failed nursing, no chance in PA?

I was wondering whether or not I should even go for PA or is the medical field just not for me?

I recently failed my nursing program by a few points and am now considering other options. I wanted to do PA for awhile now, but I got accepted to nursing first, so I thought I would give that a try instead.

I did not go for PA at first becuase of my gpa. I graduated with a degree in business and my gpa overall is a low 2.8. My science gpa is around 3.0. I still have 4 more science classes to take. I screwed up really bad early in school, did not take it seriously. I honestly had second thoughts of nursing before I began the program. I worked as a tech and did not really enjoy what I saw nurses had to do.

After I failed, I began to realize why I failed. My study habits were horrible, did not have good time management, and most importantly finals always killed me. I did fine with normal weekly nursing exams but when it came down to the cumulative final, I failed. I never took a cumulative final in my life until nursing school.  I was struggling a lot at first, but changed my study habits and was passing before finals.

I would assume it is a lot harder than nursing. I would have to take 4 more classes to apply anyways, so my gpa could get a slight bump if i do well. If not, I was wondering if a

"Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program" would be worth it, since my gpa is so low? I already have almost 2000 hours of patient care experience at the hospital as a tech. I dont want to give up healthcare field just yet.

So should I even bother with going for PA?

Was this a BSN program?

Without knowing anything about you besides what you just wrote it does not sound like you would do well in PA school. If there were three things that were important for success in PA school it would be prior experience, time management, and test taking skills.

If you have a strong desire to work in clinical medicine, a post bac program might make sense. But of you had doubts about nursing, why did you pursue a career in nursing? Do you even know what the role of a PA is? I don't think you are ready.

Was this a BSN program?

Without knowing anything about you besides what you just wrote it does not sound like you would do well in PA school. If there were three things that were important for success in PA school it would be prior experience, time management, and test taking skills.

If you have a strong desire to work in clinical medicine, a post bac program might make sense. But of you had doubts about nursing, why did you pursue a career in nursing? Do you even know what the role of a PA is? I don't think you are ready.

I'm just going to echo what was said here, you didn't provide anything in your post where we could decipher what sort of role you want in healthcare. I've done nursing school already, and I have friends in medical and PA school and there is simply no comparison. The curriculum/course load and course difficulty supremely dwarfs what I did in nursing school.

Archived