Physician assistant requirements and HCE

Hello I am Daniel, I am currently volunteering at a clinical program without pay. I talked to someone today and they told me that all schools now require people to have paid Healthcare experience. Is there any truth to this? I hear this before, but is never saw specifics about this.

And my second question is, do I need calculus to become a PA or do they just need statistics? I have taken both pre-cal and stats already, I am enrolled for calculus next semester, but I was thinking about dropping it because I don't think I need it. So yeah, do most schools require calculus to become a PA. I live in California, so can you please suggest me the schools around here that require or don't require calculus. Thank you! :)

http://directory.paeaonline.org/

This is a good place to start. 

No, not every school requires paid HCE. However, paid generally is held in higher regard. That being said, it varies from school to school, along with the prereq requirements (as in who requires Calc). I'd suggest taking a look at the above directory and figuring out which schools will fit you best.

• 2 months later...

Hello I am Daniel, I am currently volunteering at a clinical program without pay. I talked to someone today and they told me that all schools now require people to have paid Healthcare experience. Is there any truth to this? I hear this before, but is never saw specifics about this.

And my second question is, do I need calculus to become a PA or do they just need statistics? I have taken both pre-cal and stats already, I am enrolled for calculus next semester, but I was thinking about dropping it because I don't think I need it. So yeah, do most schools require calculus to become a PA. I live in California, so can you please suggest me the schools around here that require or don't require calculus. Thank you! :)

Most schools prefer or require paid health care experience. However, volunteering experience looks very good on your application as well! Look at each program's website that you're interested in attending. They should have the requirements clearly listed somewhere on their website that specify whether the HCE must be paid or not. They will also list the pre-req courses. Most schools that i'm aware of require a statistics course. None of the programs I applied to required any calculus, though 2 did require physics. It is time consuming, but you really have to visit the website of every program you're interested in attending and look at everything including their requirements.

Archived