EMT Certification -- Worth Keeping?

Hi everyone!

I'm starting a PA program in August, and my EMT-B cert lapses in early July. I was wondering if any of you bothered to keep your cert during/after PA school, and if so, did it help in any way whatsoever? I'm not sure what specialty I'm looking to work in, but EM is definitely a possibility, so I'm particularly curious if anyone found that having the cert helped as extra resume padding when trying to get a job in EM.

I know I'm going to learn substantially more in PA school and that the information covered in an EMT program is extremely basic. Frankly, I don't particularly feel like bothering with a recert course the summer before I start my PA program... But I figured it was worth asking just in case it might be worth holding on to.

Thanks for your help!

I took a week-long paramedic refresher the month before PA school started. After 8 years of practicing as a PA, I'm doing the on-line recert the next few weeks to keep it. It's in my blood,

I enjoy running with a crew a few times every month, and will do it until I become a liability for the crew because of my age. There are things I see and do only in the field and other things I do as a PA that I can teach my crewmates.

As to what you should do, I can't presume to know. I did give up my Project Management Professional designation when I went to PA school because I knew that I'd never use it again and I really didn't want to keep up with their equivalent to CME.

So, as we move along, we keep some things and jettison others. Whatever floats your boat.

• Administrator

Yes, keep it.  The effort to keep it is pretty minimal compared to the effort you would need to put in again if you let it lapse and needed it.

Unless you only ever got your EMT as a box-check for PA school, in which case... good riddance or whatever.  I went to PA school because I wanted a larger scope of practice; I didn't go to EMT class as a stepping stone to PA school.

Mine expired while I was in school... you can challenge the test if you want to in the future. No use having it in PA school. Just enjoy the time off.

I let my NREMT lapse and it was a pain to get back. I guess it would depend on state regs if a PA could just challenge the EMT exam, but if that was the plan, why not just challenge the NREMT every two years. It's a relatively easy exam if you have a higher level of training and you do some practice questions beforehand to get into the EMT testing zone. 

I used my classes in PA school as my CE. Then I found someone to do my skills evaluation and that was it. Really easy to maintain so no point in letting it lapse if you want to keep it active. I've continued to pick up ER Tech shifts from my employer. But then again, my employer is very flexible with me and I just call for open shifts and I'm not on any schedules.

If I had a national cert I would keep it.

I got my medic in 2 states before registry was around. One of these never expires(card actually says "Expiration: None" right on it) so I still list PA, EMT-P on my IDs. I think it gives me some "street cred" with my medics.

If I had a national cert I would keep it.

I got my medic in 2 states before registry was around. One of these never expires(card actually says "Expiration: None" right on it) so I still list PA, EMT-P on my IDs. I think it gives me some "street cred" with my medics.

Not anymore.  Pennsylvania has now imposed expiration dates on paramedic certifications even if your card says no expiration.  Log in to the State EMS portal for your new expiration date.

I let mine go because when am I ever going to want to work as an EMT again? Yes working the streets is fun, but going through everything I would needed to in order top maintain employment as an EMT would not be worth it to make 12 bucks am hour and be treated like crap working an EMT shift. Even to challenge the medic would not be worth the fuss when I can make 55-70 dollars an hour working per diem as a PA.

But that's just me. If you can keep your job on the side while in school it might be good to pick up some shifts. And it would definitely be nice to have a job between graduation and licensing/credentialing/working.

Archived