Working with Nurses

Anyone who's working as a PCT/CNA/PCA, do you guys get a long well with the nursing staff? Most of the nurses I work with are very pleasant people but today I am working with such a disrespectful human being. Ugh I tend to not let it bother me but she is really rude and condescending. Have any of you had this situation before? How did you respond?

As you know,there are rude and condescending people everywhere. That being said, if I was in that situation I would usually try to 'kill them with kindness.' There might be a multitude of reasons why that person might be rude or disrespectful today.

Just put your best foot forward and take solace in the fact that the day will eventually be over, lol. That nurse might be going through something that has him or her acting this way. It isn't fair for them to take it out on you but sometimes that is the way it is. 

I would just roll with it, unless it interferes with patient care.

When I worked as a nurse aide/tech on a hospital floor, a few of the nurses were always wanting me to do my work faster. But there is a limit to how fast you can toilet and bathe people without being a jerk about it. It's not a car wash these are sick patients. I just worked at a steady, efficient pace and ignored anyone who bothered me. Some of the nurses could have been more helpful, instead of playing Candy Crush on their phones while I was hustling from room to room wiping up poop. There is a vast knowledge difference between a nurse aide and an RN, so it's not surprising that some of them are condescending. 

I left as soon as I could for another job. I was treated with much more respect when I left the hospital scene and started working in a clinic (as a medical scribe, but the medical assistants were also treated well there). 

Currently an RN. There are bad people everywhere, as previously mentioned, in every field. I know nurses can be crabby and condescending like the worst of them, but don't give them any ammo; be professionally courteous in reply. If you voice your concerns, keep it to the involved parties and/or your charge. I, and the vast majority of my coworkers, appreciate what ancillary staff do. I try to always treat my fellow ED techs and medics well, and I can say most that I know would. 

Currently an RN. There are bad people everywhere, as previously mentioned, in every field. I know nurses can be crabby and condescending like the worst of them, but don't give them any ammo; be professionally courteous in reply. If you voice your concerns, keep it to the involved parties and/or your charge. I, and the vast majority of my coworkers, appreciate what ancillary staff do. I try to always treat my fellow ED techs and medics well, and I can say most that I know would. 

yup. I try to also include ancillary staff in potlucks, out of hospital parties, etc.

Several of us schedule nights out for the night crew for concerts, karaoke, running events, etc regardless of job title/responsibilities. they are not just coworkers, they are also friends.

I have seen about every kind of nurse personality there is working as a nursing assistant in the float pool of three different Cleveland Clinic community hospitals. There's a lot of nurses that I really enjoy working with, and there's a few nurses that I really dislike to work with. My advice is to speak with him/her about the situation instead of letting it affect your performance. Some nurses can be irritating, but don't necessarily realize it. I would bring it up to some of the other nurses, co-workers, or supervisor if things get worse.

Yup. I was floated today so I got treated like dog sh**.I get along great with my usual staff unit very well! They treat me with respect. Some are honestly baffled that I'm working as a tech as I already have my bachelors but it's crazy how some nurses even view PAs. I have to Rant....One stated "oh, PA they are like Dentists, you know, the fake-wannabe doctors". Another well informed individual: "They just follow a doc around". I responded "What are you in school for?" "DNP". Really, you are going to be a nurse practitioner but you have that opinion of PAs? We are on the same team here bud! haha. Hopefully one day this lost soul will see the light. (in critical care the PA had to consult the NP about 4 times with the lines she attempted to put in. Essentially they had the same duties

Again, thanks for the opinions guys! I ended up just blowing through my shift and kept busy with a pt whose colostomy bag was on hold in supply department so she kept gushing out poop from her stoma about every 30 min or so. A lot of tape with TP, bed changes, chux replacing and awesome bonding over her cat collection. Good times! Lol

The nurses at the hospital I work at are very nice and helpful. However, there are a few who act like they don't want to be bothered and their job is a chore. For these people, I usually just act as kindly as possible and they end up being more accommodating in the end. When you feel frustrated, don't show it towards anyone. Just keep doing your job and do what's right. Always treat coworkers with respect, you never know when you may need them. Just my two cents.

The nurses at the hospital I work at are very nice and helpful. However, there are a few who act like they don't want to be bothered and their job is a chore. For these people, I usually just act as kindly as possible and they end up being more accommodating in the end. When you feel frustrated, don't show it towards anyone. Just keep doing your job and do what's right. Always treat coworkers with respect, you never know when you may need them. Just my two cents.

Totally true. I was working with a younger nurse the other day. She told me "Wow you are thinking of applying to med or pa school. Must be nice starting from the bottom". At first, I thought it was a rather snide remark. Today, I had the opportunity to work with her for the first time. She was an excellent nurse and was great to work with. We talked about her career and mine. Her friend who is attending PA school at Duke and her other friend at Stony brook. Med vs PA. All that jazz. Working with her was definitely different than what I expected. 100% misjudged her and I felt bad for it. Goes to show ya know? 

Try not to let the derogatory remarks about PAs get you down.  No profession in the hospital is immune to demeaning remarks and you will always find someone rolling their eyes or saying something behind your back. Alot of times respect is earned and you will notice a difference in how people treat great docs/pas/nurses compared to others. Hell even then some people will still try and find a flaw to pick at. I notice most of these demeaning/hard to work with  people are miserable before they even step foot in the hospital and there is no changing them.

Huge thing I've realized by working in an ER as a tech with lots of nurses who have very strong personalities: don't suck.

I know that sounds funny, but I found I ended up getting a lot more respect once I showed everybody that I was a hard worker, interested in learning medicine AND nursing, and was teach-able (not a know it all). Those last two points have REALLY helped endear me with the nurses - I try to spend as much time talking to the nurses about how to do their job as I do with the docs and PAs. If you want to learn how to pass NG tubes, sink those nearly impossible IVs (dialysis patients, diabetics and vasculopaths), experienced nurses (see: old guard of the department) can be an immense resource for an aspiring PA.

Plus, asking for their input, advice and teaching shows that you respect them professionally and value their expertise.

Last night - some of the nurses who I find really hard to commiserate with on a personal level are often really great nurses from a clinical/technical standpoint. Just like doctors and PAs, they have a method that they're comfortable with and know how to do really well. So, when I view them in that light, it becomes easier to give respect to them (and get respect in return).

Try not to let the derogatory remarks about PAs get you down.  No profession in the hospital is immune to demeaning remarks and you will always find someone rolling their eyes or saying something behind your back. Alot of times respect is earned and you will notice a difference in how people treat great docs/pas/nurses compared to others. Hell even then some people will still try and find a flaw to pick at. I notice most of these demeaning/hard to work with  people are miserable before they even step foot in the hospital and there is no changing them.

Before I began my job last year, two PAs explained to me. "Do not get discouraged with your role atm. You most likely will. Some may bash PAs. You may be textbook smarter than most, but just worry about your patients and keep the eye on the prize". 

I have  had this problem as an EMT.  There is one paramedic that I really do NOT enjoy working with.  She is very demeaning and condescending.  It got so bad on some shifts that I just retreated to my room and cried.  I did not need this crap from her, so why was I taking it?  My husband advised to just walk out.  I felt I could not let her run me off.  I love the patients and I love the job.  I work part time so I can get patient care experience to further my dream of being a PA.  I have a Masters degree in forensic science.  I can work circles around this woman, but I don't feel the need to point it out.  She treats me like I can't even tie my shoes.  She reminds me every hour how she has so many years of experience etc.  She only became a medic about 3 years ago, mind you.. She has not been doing it that long in my opinion, not to have the attitude she has.  She is a know it all and really, I have not seen her know very much in action.  I have to pull over for her to start an IV.  None of the other medics require that.  She panics when there is a life or death call.  I find myself calming her down.  I tried being super nice and thanking her for helping me learn the ropes... which she didn't and she knows it.  Her reply to me was that I needed to listen to her and she called me "untrained".  She was referring to nuances that are not written protocol that I had not yet learned.  Its really hard working with her.  I have to do it Christmas weekend too. 

I finally resolved that its just life and these folks exist and you just have to suck it up. You cannot change them and they feel they have to make you feel as bad as possible in order to make themselves feel good.  I cannot take on her self esteem problems.  They are not mine to solve.  I will have professional boundaries, however, and as long as she doesn't cross them, I can work with her.  I feel you have to stand up for yourself if it gets too far out of hand.  She has known to cross this boundary and I have had to put my foot down.  Luckily, I don't get put on her schedule that often as I only do this part time.  I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Honestly, "killing with kindness" will take care of 99% of your problems. There's just nothing to gain by trying to get negative/ignorant people to change. Why let their personality issues do anything to damper your spirit? You're going to be a PA!

Recognize that this type of behavior is often endemic in medicine/nursing and if you learn to let it roll off your shoulders now you'll be golden for the rest of your career.

Forensikchick,

What you are dealing with, is a defense mechanism for someone who is incompetent, and knows it.

After nearly 13 years as a medic, I've encountered this time and time again. Often times, co-workers of mine will treat EMTs as if they are scum under their boots. Barking orders on scene, and running around like a proverbial chicken without a head. They will do everything within their power to make their partner look foolish and inept in order to distract attention from themselves.

Now for my advice.....

Don't walk away from this situation.

RUN!

Here is why.

I realize the urge to stand your ground and stick things out rather than walk away and feel as if you are admitting defeat.

However, your co-worker is a liability to your patients and depending on the state you operate in, you as well.

When push comes to shove, she will throw you under the bus in order to save her own hide.

As you are on PA forums, I assume that you have ambitions of furthering your education and career.

Is it worth the risk to your license and future career by trying to stick things out?

I suspect many of us realize that poor treatment of people just starting out by those who may (or may not) have been around for a while is not limited to the medical profession. There is a rite of passage in most situations: a new job or pledging a fraternity and often, whether we know it or not, we're doing both at the same time.

There are at least as many experienced people out there who like to teach and train new people as there are those who try to build up their own egos by trying to tear down yours. Find them, gravitate towards them, learn from them. Some places are indeed better to work than others. Still, if some of the less helpful people are around where you are now, don't think that you can just leave and find a place where they don't exist at all.

Now is as good a time as any to develop your defense mechanisms; you will need them throughout your life.

- No one can make you feel stupid without your permission.

- Work within your scope of practice and comfort level.

- Don't criticize someone in front of someone else

- Be trainable

- Stand up for yourself when it's needed

- And, in the immortal words of Kenny Rogers: know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em

Good luck! 

There are terrible people in every corner of the medical field.

MDs who think they are gods but are so inept it's almost scary how they passed boards yet they waste no time in being belligerent when they don't get their way

Lazy CNAs who pass off simple tasks within their scope by saying that's the RNs job to empty a rectal tube, complete orthostatic vitals etc etc (even as the RN is having two patient's crashing). Vindictively report RNs when their laziness isn't supported.

RNs who are too oblivious to follow up on care sensitive tasks and comply with adequate charting protocols by missing big picture situations and subsequently blaming the other shift. Refuse to aide techs when they have time.

PA/NPs (See MD section)

Radiology techs who act like bothering them at 2am for a CT scan is the worst thing to happen to them and they can't be bothered to push contrast and or a button

Paramedics: I won't even go there....especially FD medics...

All these personalities are prime example for workplace bullying eventually in one way or another.

As an RN I defend nurses sometimes (not always) because of the nature of the job especially in the ICU at night. Too much responsibility with little authority. Another 13 shift in the books (last night) with no lunch break makes me crabby too....

There are terrible people in every corner of the medical field.

MDs who think they are gods but are so inept it's almost scary how they passed boards yet they waste no time in being belligerent when they don't get their way

Lazy CNAs who pass off simple tasks within their scope by saying that's the RNs job to empty a rectal tube, complete orthostatic vitals etc etc (even as the RN is having two patient's crashing). Vindictively report RNs when their laziness isn't supported.

RNs who are too oblivious to follow up on care sensitive tasks and comply with adequate charting protocols by missing big picture situations and subsequently blaming the other shift. Refuse to aide techs when they have time.

PA/NPs (See MD section)

Radiology techs who act like bothering them at 2am for a CT scan is the worst thing to happen to them and they can't be bothered to push contrast and or a button

Paramedics: I won't even go there....especially FD medics...

All these personalities are prime example for workplace bullying eventually in one way or another.

As an RN I defend nurses sometimes (not always) because of the nature of the job especially in the ICU at night. Too much responsibility with little authority. Another 13 shift in the books (last night) with no lunch break makes me crabby too....

Haha yes! Preach

• 1 month later...

I work as a CNA/PCT in the float pool of a large hospital and everyday I'm assigned to a different unit, working with different nurses. 

I've worked with many rude nurses, and I usually blow it off because they could be short-staffed, having a bad day, or maybe that's their personality and I took things the wrong way. In general I try to stay positive and focus on my patients. If I'm working with that nurse again and she's still being disrespectful, I would remind her that I'm a float and ask if there's anything I'm doing/not doing that could help. 

Archived