Yale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency

Looks like a great program! How much of a pediatric population is there exposure to? And how much Peds ED is there?

We are planning on 10 weeks of Peds EM.  Yale Children's Hospital is a pediatric level 1 trauma center, and we have a separate pediatric ED located 50 feet down a hallway from the Adult ED.  We are also exploring a potential second pediatric site at another hospital in our health system to offer some variety.  Residents will also rotate in two community ED's that see both adult and pediatric patients. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as an update, we will also be including a dedicated rotation in simulation medicine for the residency program.  The Department of Emergency Medicine along with the School of Medicine have invested significantly in a brand new simulation center which will open next week.  Our residents will have the opportunity to practice procedures, manage complex cases and resuscitations, as well as learning about simulation medicine (with the possibility of teaching opportunities with rotating students). The facility is new enough that it isn't even on the university website yet, but photos of the facility can be found on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/yalecenterformedicalsimulation

While working at YNHH, where will the PA residents spend their time?  Will they be incorporated onto A side (highest acuity) with the MD residents or will they be working lower acuity patients on B and C side?

The residents will be working in all sections.  B and C side shifts will be primarily for PGY-1's (like the MD residents), and A side for PGY-2's (once they have some of the experience needed for critical care).  

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.ynhh.org/careers/career-search/detail.aspx?jobtitle=ER%20Advanced%20Practice%20Resident%20PA%20or%20APRN&id=6158

The online application is now available for the 2016-2017 residency class at Yale New Haven Hospital.  Please see the website for additional application materials that should be submitted directly to the program (https://medicine.yale.edu/emergencymed/residency/pa_np/applicationprocess/).  Interviews will be planned for early February; please feel free to contact the program directly with any questions that you may have about the application process.

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Bryce, I am one of the first year EMPA residents at Yale. I recently heard from my program director that we are still accepting applications for next year’s class. If you are a PA student graduating this Spring or a practicing PA looking for more hands on critical care I would highly recommend applying. This has been a truly amazing experience! Let me know if you have any questions.

For more information check out the website. 

https://medicine.yale.edu/emergencymed/residency/pa_np/

- Bryce

• 2 months later...

The PA residents follow the same ACGME duty hour restrictions as the physician residents.  Exact hours and shift length will vary based upon the specific rotation; typically most rotations will be 40-60 hours/week, with a few (such as MICU) potentially longer depending on call schedule.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do you look for in a PA applicant, and what would you recommend for a PA student before starting your residency? How much does EM clinical experience, undergrad/PA school GPA, and PANCE scores play a role in the application process? 

The specific prerequisites are available on the website, but like many other programs we are looking for applicants who are highly motivated learners with a strong desire to pursue a career in emergency medicine. Prior EM experience does not hurt, but is not mandatory for a successful resident.  Academics are emphasized with the program, so GPA is a consideration, but PANCE is not.  Many applicants are still in PA school at the time of their interviews, and they may not take the PANCE until they have already started in the residency program.

As a PA student, it would likely be beneficial to demonstrate some interest in emergency medicine during your time in PA school.  This might incorporate extra electives, professional memberships, research, etc.  

I hope this helps a little; feel free to e-mail any of the faculty listed on the website with specific questions as well.

• 3 months later...

The Yale Emergency Medicine PA Residency is now accepting applications for the Class of 2018 (anticipated start date June 2017).  The preliminary application may be submitted electronically using the link below; additional application materials may be submitted directly to the program as outlined on our website.

https://www.ynhh.org/careers/career-search/detail.aspx?jobtitle=ER%20ADV%20PRACTICE%20RESIDENT%20(PA)&id=10278

https://medicine.yale.edu/emergencymed/residency/pa/applicationprocess/

Please e-mail the program directly with any questions that you may have; we look forward to hearing from you!

• 9 months later...

The Yale New Haven EM PA Residency will be hosting an information session on September 7th for those who might be interested in pursuing postgraduate training in emergency medicine, especially those interested in coming to Yale.  There will be an opportunity to meet with program faculty and current residents, and enjoy some of our famous local pizza!  Please see the attached poster for details; we look forward to seeing some of you!

Residency Info Session Poster.pdf

I would have been so interested in attending this information session, ironically I'll be working in the ER at Bridgeport Hospital that day :( definitely interested in this program since it sounds like an amazing opportunity. 

Sorry that we will miss you! Feel free to contact any of the faculty with any questions you might have (info on the website) or speak with one of our residents when they rotate through the Bridgeport ED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Archived