Racism Towards Black PAs

I am brown skinned (1/2 black) and work in a pretty rural/country town in the south and I have never had any major issues.

Surprisingly I am received well by the majority of the patients I see, even the white folks with rebel flag T-shirts/hats. I am actually pretty surprised at how often people are nice/grateful, say thank you, and even do little things like ask me how my day is going (if you work in an ER you understand how this is surprising lol)

Occasionally I can sense that an elderly white person (usually male) isn't thrilled to see me, Either way, I smile and make it a point to be friendly. It does not upset me. Their behavior is due to their up-bringing and has nothing to do with me as a person or provider. For some reason I don't usually get this vibe from elderly white women. Maybe it's a combo of me being female, young and brown that's upsetting to elderly men?

Anyways I have never had someone refuse to see me though. Even if they didn't want to see me, they can either deal with it or leave. We do not let patient's pick their provider

• Upvote 4

• 5 years later...
On 12/8/2014 at 6:14 PM, JMPA said:

why are you race baiting? patients have the right to choose whom they want without the need for explaination. that includes md over PA, male over female, young over old, straight over gay, energetic over tired, fat over thin, short over tall, ect. ect. should we just force patients to see whom is chosen for them? are you aware that "providers" also have the right to turn patients away at their discretion.

This is complete BS.