1099 Vs staying in current W-2

Hi everyone.

I am currently in a situation, I started my very recent career at a large group practice that has multiple surgery centers and urgent cares. as thing turned out, I am stuck doing only urgent care, with little to no oversight, low acuity, no MA, far-flung locations,  and more importantly a non-responsive HR and management.

I have been offered a full time ER position with fast track and main as a 1099  at 60 per hour, 12 hour shifts, 12-15 shifts a month (or more), no significant benefits other then DEA, and some needed certs.

VS

Staying at current job (~7 months so far) W2  90k per year 40hours per week, declined Health (wife works for school board) 1k cme,

My reasons to stay at current job

1. it's easy work (low acuity)

2. low work load

3. things may get better (i.e. acuity, MA gets hired, I get to do more on the surgery side)

4. W2

5. loyalty? it hasn't been even a year.

What are your thoughts regarding if I should stay

What are your thoughts regarding the ER position

You are going to be way behind salary wise at the ER job on 1099 status. Even with smart financial planning the taxes will be higher than at your $90k salary job. IMO that 1099 job should pay no less than $75/hr to break even with your current salaried job (forgive my rough math...I'm a rather intuitive person lol...but probably not that far off).

You are going to be way behind salary wise at the ER job on 1099 status. Even with smart financial planning the taxes will be higher than at your $90k salary job. IMO that 1099 job should pay no less than $75/hr to break even with your current salaried job (forgive my rough math...I'm a rather intuitive person lol...but probably not that far off).

agree. there are plenty of em jobs out there for folks with experience at 60+ dollars/hr + a full benefits package.

figure out how much you need/hr for medical/dental/vision/cme/retirement/life insurance/licenses/etc.

add this #/hr to what you think a fair salary is. that is the # you should ask for/hr as a 1099 employee. I think Primmas 75/hr is probably right to within 5/hr.

only you can decide about your current job. do you feel like you can grow there and be appropriately mentored into an expert clinician? Low acuity/no supervision isn't a good thing if you want to get good at EM. That requires graduated levels of responsibility, seeing sicker and sicker pts as you are ready and having folks to run cases by.

figure out how much you need/hr for medical/dental/vision/cme/retirement/life insurance/licenses/etc.

add this #/hr to what you think a fair salary is. that is the # you should ask for/hr as a 1099 employee. I think Primmas 75/hr is probably right to within 5/hr.

only you can decide about your current job. do you feel like you can grow there and be appropriately mentored into an expert clinician? Low acuity/no supervision isn't a good thing if you want to get good at EM. That requires graduated levels of responsibility, seeing sicker and sicker pts as you are ready and having folks to run cases by.

do you think 75 is attainable for a almost new grad?  (north jersey)

There is no growth (in becoming the rock star PA I want to be) if I get stuck doing what I have been for the past 6 months. 

Perhaps that in itself is cause for leaving

1.do you think 75 is attainable for a almost new grad?  (north jersey)

2.There is no growth (in becoming the rock star PA I want to be) if I get stuck doing what I have been for the past 6 months. 

Perhaps that in itself is cause for leaving

1. unlikely

2. agree. you just need to decide if the time is right to leave now or if you should stick it out until you have a full yr under your belt.

is doing both an option(keep job 1 and cut down to min shifts/mo to keep benefits while doing er job at 60/hr part time?

1. unlikely

2. agree. you just need to decide if the time is right to leave now or if you should stick it out until you have a full yr under your belt.

is doing both an option(keep job 1 and cut down to min shifts/mo to keep benefits while doing er job at 60/hr part time?

1. What do think would be an # they would agree to or perhaps a staggered # e.g. 70 for 6 months, 75 for a year with a $5 increase per year

2. not really, they over extended themselves, and there is not enough providers to even cover the hours they need now.

I have been doing some per diem urgent care at 65 and 85 sundays and holidays  

When doing 1099 work you should estimate you will have to put aside about 30%. Also just because you don't need benefits doesn't mean you shouldn't be paid for them. Why not try them at $75 cuz my experience when working any kind of 1099 job is that you will not get a raise for a LONG LONG time.

Thanks everyone for their advice

what would that mean for me other then (they would convert into a w-2). would they have to pay overtime and such?

little effect on you - really it fines the heck out of the company

they really should not be doing this type of agreement at all - it is just to save $$$ and cheats you out of bennies

UPDATE

The job offer is not budging from 60 per, nor willing to put a automatic increase in place over time.

I see that there was a similar topic here http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/14792-valuation-of-benefits/

After discussing it with my Accountant he told me that I would be facing approx 30% tax burden + the loss of approx 25 PTO days

which would see me make less then my current position

I think I will wait them out, nice aspect of ny/nj is that most PA programs end at the end of the school year

Question remains if staying in current UC position hurts me long term 

Archived