Deciding between 2 PA programs

Hi all! I'm currently struggling to decide between 2 great programs: IUPUI (Indianapolis, IN) and South University (Savannah, GA). Both are great for different reasons, so I was hoping to hear from anyone who knew anything more about these programs or had any input.

South:

-class size of 60

-starts in January.. aka SOON

-well established, PANCE rates >96%, system based curriculum

-no cadaver lab, but offers chance to see autopsies in town

-early opportunities for clinical exposure

-1 elective rotation

-faculty and students were so welcoming and seemed to really love the program

IUPUI:

-smaller class, 44

-starts in May

-new program, first class matriculated in 2013 and will graduate next year

- cadaver lab, simulation center

- affiliation with IU med.. I've heard both good and bad things about being affiliated with a med school ( great resources, but possibly crowded rotations)

-3 elective rotations

-everyone seemed excited about the program

I like that IU offers cadaver lab and 3 electives, but am worried about entering a new program in a new city (especially since I would be moving from south FL). However, IU is a well respected Med program. Any thoughts on entering a new program vs an established, or the benefits of having 3 elective rotations vs 1 elective? Any input is greatly appreciated :) 

I know it's done, but it's hard for me to picture a PA program without a good cadaver lab. And 60 people in your class sounds like quite a few.

New programs can be a crap-shoot, but in your case, at least there are existing students you could talk with. I went to a program as the third class ever, with the first class a few months short of graduating. It worked out well.

Indianapolis is a nice town with lots to do. You, however, will not have a ton of time to be doing things!

Good luck!

applicants often focus on didactic component and school reputation .... make sure you think about clinical experiences as well. How are the rotation sites at this new program that is not part of a larger medical school ?  Maybe ask to email 2nd year students and learn where they are going and how the experience is ?  All schools medical including PA are having a tough time with rotation spots. The over 100+ new PA programs and plenty other MD and NP new programs enhance this challenge. I have a good friend doing NP who had to assist in finding rotation sites and spent many hours looking for OBGYN and specialty IM. He found a sub par GYN experience and had to drive 2.5 hours. He had to live away from family and kids for part of that rotation. Make sure you look at clinical rotation experience ! 

I know it's done, but it's hard for me to picture a PA program without a good cadaver lab. And 60 people in your class sounds like quite a few.

it can be done, although 60 sounds too large for a new program as it starts up.

Drexel has had 80+/class for years, but as an older/established program they have many more rotation sites than students and they have worked the kinks out of their didactic and clinical curriculum. they have elective rotations for any interest. surgical/oncology gyn? they have a rotation, etc.

they do this by breaking down the class into smaller groups for sections and training. they have 1st and 2nd yr full time pathways and 1st/2nd/3rd yr part time pathways.

it can be done, although 60 sounds too large for a new program as it starts up.

Drexel has had 80+/class for years, but as an older/established program they have many more rotation sites than students and they have worked the kinks out of their didactic and clinical curriculum. they have elective rotations for any interest. surgical/oncology gyn? they have a rotation, etc.

they do this by breaking down the class into smaller groups for sections and training. they have 1st and 2nd yr full time pathways and 1st/2nd/3rd yr part time pathways.

The smaller class is the newer program.

The larger class starts soon.

Financially it looks like South is less expensive for tuition.

South is closer to home unless Indiana is originally home for you.

With South starting soon, you would be 5 months closer to your goal.

South has a great 1st time PANCE takers rate.

I think you have to go with what your feel was.

Other option is to put down deposit on both. If South works out, great. If not, go take your reserved spot in Indiana.

Good luck.

GB PA-C

Archived