Easiest state to get a license

Pennsylvania was pretty easy.  Easy paperwork.  Quick turnaround.  They say allow 60 days for processing.  I had it in two weeks.  $30 for either the allopathic or osteopathic license (yes, PA has two separate PA licenses but you'd only need one.  It's kinda' silly.)

I think you should just pick a state you like. I feel like they are all the same deal for PA license. The application will all take at least 2-3 hours to fill out and collect the materials you need, and at least 1-2 months to approve.  It sounds like you have time to apply no matter what the delay. You can do it all online without any in person activity. Do it month before you move even. 

• Administrator

30 bucks is very nice. WA is also fast (1-2 weeks), but $220 last time I checked.

My turnaround time was about six hours after the PANCE results posted.  But I was already currently a Washington EMT (so background check was not needed) and I applied and paid in advance.  They issued me my final license same day my PANCE scores came out.

I would not go by easiest, but instead the one with the least amount of restrictions - correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you were supposed to follow the laws of the state you are licensed in, if you are in the VA - so if you state does not allow Sch II drugs, you can't write

can someone that works in the VA comment on this??

My turnaround time was about six hours after the PANCE results posted.  But I was already currently a Washington EMT (so background check was not needed) and I applied and paid in advance.  They issued me my final license same day my PANCE scores came out.

I applied by mail and listed my initial practice site as a free clinic. turnaround was 7 days mailbox to mailbox. probably 4 days in transit, 2 weekend days when they were closed, so actually 1 day if I had gone there in person.

I would not go by easiest, but instead the one with the least amount of restrictions - correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you were supposed to follow the laws of the state you are licensed in, if you are in the VA - so if you state does not allow Sch II drugs, you can't write

can someone that works in the VA comment on this??

May be true for the VA, but it's certainly not in the military. I will get a NC license eventually, since that's where I'm moving anyways. Just wanted to get it easy and on the cheap right now.

I would suggest go ahead and get a license from the state you will be living and working in, even if it is more expensive or time consuming. This gives you more options and you never know if you want to switch jobs or moonlight somewhere, you'll be glad you took the extra weeks to get a local state license.

I will get a NC license, but since it's not necessary and I've got enough on my plate I'm just going to get the PA license now. Many commands have restrictions on moonlighting and I can't exactly switch jobs. That's called awol.

Archived