input on DIY postbac options?

I had a 2.96 GPA when I earned a BS 15 years ago and a 3.2 GPA in graduate school, which I did not finish. I have been working in laboratories for over 10 years and have some publications. Family medical issues prompted me to consider healthcare professions and shadowing has convinced me that PA is the way to go.

As part of taking/refreshing prerequisites at the local CC, which I'm attending for budget & scheduling reasons, I chose to major in the AS Health Science Broad Field program, which requires most of the prerequisite classes for the local PA program: A&P 1 and 2, microbiology, statistics, psychology, and medical terminology. (I may have to use my old chemistry and calculus classes to round out the PA prerequisites and take biochem elsewhere.) The local CC also has a well-regarded 9-credit EMT-B initial class which I plan to take. (I had planned to take it already but had some family emergencies.) The program also requires intercultural communication and nutrition, which I haven't taken yet.

After I finish the AS Health Sciences program with a 4.0 at the local CC and those prerequisites taken for the major, I will still have a cGPA of about 3.2 due to the 2.96 I had as a young undergrad and 3.2 in previous grad studies.

My question is, which of the following programs make the most sense for pre-PA:

1. Add CNA and phlebotomy to current program

2. Apply for ADN nursing at a CC

3. Apply for entry-level MSN at another university

4. Transfer for BA Biology at a CC university

5. Transfer for BA Physiology at the major state university

6. Change major at same CC to medical assistant diploma or another allied health program

7. Change CCs to one with an evening AS paramedic program that does take green EMT-Bs

8. Re-take the GRE and apply PhD in a science to prove I can handle the coursework

Considerations: I've been told I have virtually no shot at PhD and MD programs due to the GPA and that I have no upper level biology aside from A&P yet. I did not enjoy shadowing a nurse. It would be really expensive and difficult to mesh with my work schedule to get another Bachelor's or do the MA externship.

Prior HCE is as a first responder (EMR), in clinical research, and uncertified caregiving to family members with a wide variety of health problems. (I routinely administer pills/nebulizer/inhalers, take vitals, have helped with post-surgical care, and have administered Epi-Pen.) I shadowed a nurse but wasn't nearly as excited as I was when shadowing a PA and her SP. PA shadowing is ongoing, and they let me take vitals as a volunteer MA when I'm there. I also have >10 years lab & research experience with publications.

I appreciate any insight you can offer regarding my pre-PA prep program options. I'm overwhelmed by the choices. Fast and low-cost would be ideal, but best chances of getting in and excelling are also strong considerations.

Start racking up hours as an EMT! 3.2 GPA isn't nearly as bad as you think if you were to accrue some high quality experience as an EMT and possible an ER Tech later down the road. There are lots of people on this website who can attest that they got into PA with marginal grades (even lower than yours) but awesome HCE. Maybe work/volunteer full time (eventually try to get paid) and keep taking 1-2 classes a semester to continually boost GPA and show adcoms that you're serious about what you're doing. I followed essentially the path I just described. In less than 4 years went from a 2.7 GPA with no HCE to 3.15 cGPA/ 3.6 science GPA and over 4000 hours of HCE. Looking back, it honestly wasn't that bad, it just took time and, unfortunately, that can't be forced.

Out of the choices you listed above...none seem to make great sense. I don't think you're in a horrendous academic position but you definitely need to accumulate HCE (which you can do as an EMT) and taking upper division classes (O-Chem, Biochem, Cell Bio, Genetics, Virology, upper level Micro) will help as well. If I absolutely had to pick from the choices you listed above, I'd probably add the CNA and phlebotomy. These certifications in tandem with EMT will maximize your chances of being able to score a hospital job, which then gives you the opportunity learn about medicine, interact with patients in a high volume setting (see: see lots of medical "stuff"), and build on your skills as a provider. Also, you get paid...which never hurts.

Archived