License Question for Pennsylvania EM PAs

Hi All,

I will be moving to Pennsylvania in the next few months to attend medical school and am hoping to pick up a few shifts in the ED whenever possible.  Pennsylvania is unique in that it requires PAs to become licensed with the medical board to work with MDs and/or become licensed with the osteopathic board to work with DOs.   But what about us EM PAs who work in the ED with both allopathic and osteopathic physicians?  Do I need to be registered with both boards before my job search to be marketable/employable?  Any reliable info would be greatly appreciated.  

Also, has anyone had any success with the EM CAQ helping to secure employment in PA?  The docs where I currently live don't even know what it is.

Thanks!

I spent 5 years practicing ER in Pennsylvania, and they just had an MD as my primary doc while all the others signed on as secondary supervising physicians- it was standard for all of the ER docs to sign off as every PA's secondary supervising doc- and we were split pretty evenly between MDs and DOs.  It should be standard operating procedure for any ER that hires PA's to do this, and it should be handled by the ED administrative staff- it was for us, anyway.

I worked in the Philly area, but I'm not aware of any place that gave preference to taking the CAQ.  Couldn't hurt, as it should demonstrate your experience in the area- which of course is what people care about the most

I had both allo and osteo PA licenses while I lived and worked in PA. I had an MD supervisor at the women's prison and a DO supervisor at a very rural clinic. I used different license numbers depending on where I was. The whole thing was a ridiculous muddle of confusion.

So...I advise getting both licenses. The upfront cost isn't much. The employer should cover the more significant licensing cost which is paid when you submit a practice description for approval.

Now...good luck getting ER shifts up there...I never could but it's been 3-4 years since and maybe the management has changed.

Thanks primadonna,

I put in a couple applications for some nearby EDs but I suspect it will be difficult to get shifts with my school schedule.  If that doc at the rural clinic is looking for a part time PA, let him know that I will be in your former shoes and looking for per diem work.  

• 2 years later...

Figured better to revive an old thread than start a new one. 

I'm in the same boat now.  Just sent in my deposit and matriculation agreement to LECOM for this coming year.   I'm an experienced EMPA with my CAQ in EM.  Will likely get my Pennsylvania PA license, but am on the fence about trying to work at all OMS-1.  Perhaps year 2.    PACDO, what did you wind up doing while you were in school?

Archived