Need help, change jobs?

Hi all. Very long time user here, i made a new account for anonymity...

I work in a relatively small city in a surgical subspec that is under a very large organization in the state. My wife is also employed. She is looking at a job transfer to another group in a different system about an hour away. I have been in communication with a hiring group that is trying to lure me into a new job. The job is near this other job my wife is looking at. It is primary care, and ultimately owned by my same healthcare organization. The pay is better, everything else benefitwise which is pretty great stays the same. They are open to hiring me with no "real"-experience in PC. I'm relatively interested in general medicine, though more so urgent care and emed. I have become complacent in a subspec, which also offers me very good opportunities to first assist at the level of a chief resident at times. I've gotten very good at what i do. Some of the surgeons are becoming intolerable, and I'm being pulled in many different ways/abused/over used constantly. I'm consistently working closer to 50hr a week on salary.

My biggest question is what to do... Will I be hitting myself for giving up surgery? I do like hands on stuff, very important to me. Sure it's a bit daunting to go into the much more broad primary care. Will I be happy? We would also have to prepare and sell our home in town here..

Just calling out an SOS for help.. grass isn't always greener.

Thanks

S.

"Some of the surgeons are becoming intolerable, and I'm being pulled in many different ways/abused/over used constantly."

I wouldn't stand for the above statement.  I'd highly consider switching on that statement alone.  Plus, you mention greater pay.  But don't fool yourself, I think many primary care providers work 50+ hours /wk on salary so that might not change.  you'd have to look further into it.

Is it recommended or possible to leverage your other offer with renegotiating your hours/salary at your current job?

Very large organization. Pay is non negotiable. We are trying to get 4 days a week, but the coverage is an issue and potential for coming in on days off or covering vacations by going back to 5 days 8hr. Otherwise nothing is negotiable. They know that I can get another job and eventually Will leave. Promise better organization, more talking bw surgeons, pulling me less.. one surgeon calls me whenever. When he gets out at 6pm.. thinking about something at 8pm.. and usually it has to do with stuff for tomorrow or if he's off the next day, so I have trouble not answering.. there are some good things. I like the office staff, the hospital and staff there. Everyone knows and appreciates me there. I like the nurses. I get to do some I I nteresting stuff. Often a fair amount of independence and independent thinking.

The pay is better They are open to hiring me with no "real"-experience in PC.  I have become complacent in a subspec Some of the surgeons are becoming intolerable, and I'm being pulled in many different ways/abused/over used constantly. I'm consistently working closer to 50hr a week on salary.

Does this outweigh all the good at your present place?

You still want to see your wife, right?

Can still do procedures in an office, biopsies, I&D, suture, etc.

Can get much independence in an office, prolly more so than working with a surgeon. 

I felt the same way leaving my first ED job for my second. Good thing I ignored my second guessing. I have been at the 2nd place for 13 years. First place couldnt keep PAs due to (guess) pay, hours, scheduling. No PAs work there now.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

I don't know if it weighs or outweighs.. I mean if she's dead set on another job then I guess I'll have to sacrifice. I'd love emed but I don't have the option of residency at this point. Maybe a more predictable schedule, my own patients, small procedures, better pay.. Maybe that will work out.. The thrill of being inside an abdomen, stapling vessels, closing large incisions.. closing the skin so perfectly it barely leaves a scar.. truthfully I never pictured myself in surgery.. and I can live without it as long as I get to do some hands on stuff. The biggest factors for me is schedule is reasonable, call minimal, not tremendously overworked and colleagues I can appreciate and trust and learn from. That's really what I want

I'll chime in only because I can some days feel the same way..surgical speciality (urology), crazy doctors, unpredictable hours, etc. You need to make a venn diagram.. what's the benefits of family practice, and surgery, and what do they share? You'll make a difference in any patients life.. you'll see a more broad panel of patients with good autonomy in pcp. I know that may be scary as well, lol. If you're located in a small community that definitely ups the chances of being able to do small procedures... see what they do now and what would be available to you. I'm sure your surgical skills could cross over to small lesion removals ands lacerations quite nicely. You may be able to remove ingrown toenails, freeze things, irrigate ears, etc. And hey, this can bridge you to the urgent care and maybe

To er down the road.. I do know what you mean by the adrenaline of surgery, but it sounds like your knocking on the doorsteps of a burn out... all the best ands keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

It's completely rational to be nervous, but try to be as Zen as you are able. Burn-out is a real thing, and while it's a commendable trait to be able to endure a less-than-perfect situation, it's also important to be able to make a change when you need to.

It's also the case that as PAs, we are supposed to have a level of flexibility and lateral mobility that MDs for example don't have. The extent to which that's true vs wishful thinking is something we can debate, but if and when you get a chance to exercise it, keep in mind there are probably surgeons very near where you are who would love the chance to switch to a less-insane schedule.

I myself have a rather cushy schedule in UC, and even working not that many hours, it takes a toll when the hours are unpredictable. My wife has asked me to find something more stable and predictable, so that she can switch places with me and downshift into more of a part-time schedule. The point being, the family unit should matter as much as the career, since it's a balance of responsibilities. It's awesome that she's a PA too, in your case, so she "gets' why it could be a difficult transition.

It's funny; for the longest time I was sure my UC career was going to be a short stop-over on my way back to the "real" ER. Then I was really happy with it. Now, I'm looking at more of a primary care deal too, and I'm starting to consider that the best use of my wide range of experience. The ability to control the scheduling of patients better and get the heck out of Dodge at 5:00 more days than not is a huge draw.

It's one thing to go a little over and choose to take more time with something, and check out late. It's another when a last-minute issue can tack on another 3 hours to your day.

That's a long-winded way of saying I agree with the above posters. No matter how awesome the people or how much fun surgery can be for you, the Cons are weighing pretty heavily against the Pros. It sounds like doing what you do now, but with your wife at a distance, would be pretty gnarly and unhelpful. I don't recommend you do that to yourself. It's much more fun to be stressed by something that's new and interesting and which you can get ahold of and handle as you see fit.

Excellent! I will provide T N, NP (Medical Director) with your CV. I’ll let her know to email you directly to schedule a time to speak

This makes me nervous

Wow. I dunno about an NP med director... Yeah it may be grass is greener syndrome... I'm in the same boat. I have an interview on Tues with an expanding hospital based primary care outfit that is tempting me with better pay, better hours, and better commute but I think I would be giving up the autonomy I have now and my current SP is great. Nevertheless, I'm going to the interview just to see what's out there. As much as I'm aware of the grass is greener syndrome I don't want comfort and complacency holding me back either.

It's completely rational to be nervous, but try to be as Zen as you are able. Burn-out is a real thing, and while it's a commendable trait to be able to endure a less-than-perfect situation, it's also important to be able to make a change when you need to.

It's also the case that as PAs, we are supposed to have a level of flexibility and lateral mobility that MDs for example don't have. The extent to which that's true vs wishful thinking is something we can debate, but if and when you get a chance to exercise it, keep in mind there are probably surgeons very near where you are who would love the chance to switch to a less-insane schedule.

I myself have a rather cushy schedule in UC, and even working not that many hours, it takes a toll when the hours are unpredictable. My wife has asked me to find something more stable and predictable, so that she can switch places with me and downshift into more of a part-time schedule. The point being, the family unit should matter as much as the career, since it's a balance of responsibilities. It's awesome that she's a PA too, in your case, so she "gets' why it could be a difficult transition.

It's funny; for the longest time I was sure my UC career was going to be a short stop-over on my way back to the "real" ER. Then I was really happy with it. Now, I'm looking at more of a primary care deal too, and I'm starting to consider that the best use of my wide range of experience. The ability to control the scheduling of patients better and get the heck out of Dodge at 5:00 more days than not is a huge draw.

It's one thing to go a little over and choose to take more time with something, and check out late. It's another when a last-minute issue can tack on another 3 hours to your day.

That's a long-winded way of saying I agree with the above posters. No matter how awesome the people or how much fun surgery can be for you, the Cons are weighing pretty heavily against the Pros. It sounds like doing what you do now, but with your wife at a distance, would be pretty gnarly and unhelpful. I don't recommend you do that to yourself. It's much more fun to be stressed by something that's new and interesting and which you can get ahold of and handle as you see fit.

Thanks Feb. Very thoughtful post, and I read it over a few times.. Funny enough, I got a call yesterday from that Director of Urgent care. I am very much more inclined to migrate towards urgent care. UC / Fast track was ALWAYS my 1st choice coming out of PA school, with a goal to eventually make it up to the ER big leagues in due time. This position is 3 12hr 8-8 shfits, every 3rd weekend and per diem available on 1st come 1st serve. You bet if I can i'd work 4 shifts a week. I am getting set up for an interview there soon. I had a wonderful conversation with the director (even though she's an NP :-P) and I'm fairly sure  I want this position. The whole idea of selling our house and moving is daunting, but that's a different story. You're absolutely right about being able to make the decision to remove myself from my first job and move foward to better things, especially when it means my wife will get her ideal job.. i feel this will be a decision that in a year from now will look like a no-brainer.. It's almost like a break up from a long-term relationship, haha. I think for our family and career path, it's ultimately the best decision, but it will be tough. I agree, the stress of something new is exciting versus detrimental compared to fighting off burn out in a job every day. Thank you for the words of wisdom.

Wow. I dunno about an NP med director... Yeah it may be grass is greener syndrome... I'm in the same boat. I have an interview on Tues with an expanding hospital based primary care outfit that is tempting me with better pay, better hours, and better commute but I think I would be giving up the autonomy I have now and my current SP is great. Nevertheless, I'm going to the interview just to see what's out there. As much as I'm aware of the grass is greener syndrome I don't want comfort and complacency holding me back either.

Funny enough, we had a great conversation. She didnt seem like one of "those" NPs! I was very relieved. Grass is not always greener, but sometimes you just need to find out first hand i guess, right? I dont have "a lot" to lose. Gving up surgery, sure, but that has plenty of pros and cons. No more aggrivating surgeons calling me and pulling me everywhere. No more B****-work or unpredictability. Surgeons are tough to get along with and surgery is definitely a stressful gig. As long as i can use my hands and my brain, and make people better with in reason of time schedule and pay I should be happy i think :)

I'm in process of job change too.  Yes, it's been very stressful and the grass may not be greener, but I have the ability to water the grass.  Once you make the decision to leave for sure and have that contract in hand, it is amazing how the problems of the practice take on less importance and your mental health improves. 

Best wishes to you.  It will all work out. 

So he's an update. Urgent care interview Friday..Was super excited until my wife got her offer for GI. LOW ball big time and no wiggle room. She doesn't want the ortho job that was offered which pays a little more than current job... I am also being set up for FP, though is an hour away still in the same system as my current job. Same benefits, but higher salary plus wrvu, 4 days a week.. seems like we're in a bit of a bind.

Archived