VA whistle-blower...don't trust supervisor now

I joined the forum so I could ask this question:

I work at a VA hospital in an occupation directly related to the Phoenix VA scandal earlier this year.  What I mean by that is, I share the same occupation as some of those implicated in the VA Inspector General's report.

I am putting together my CASPA application for the 2015 application cycle, but my issue is this:

I read the VA Inspector General's report after it was released, out of curiosity and to see if our facility was doing anything similar - I am a federal employee and realize that I am accountable to the public who pays my salary.  I found a few specific actions which our facility was actively conducting, even after news of the scandal(s) broke and the IG's report was given to the congress and senate.  I held onto my knowledge for the opportune time and sought direction from trusted friends; eventually I spoke with a few top administrative officials in the hospital when they presented themselves physically for various reasons.

I was told, face-to-face by the hospital top-dog, that my reporting would remain absolutely confidential, and it seems at first it was.  However, recent meetings with my supervisor lead me to believe that my supervisor (redundancy and vague terms are for anonymity) knows either that 1) I am the whistle-blower or 2) I am one of a small number of individuals whom my supervisor suspects to be the whistle-blower.  I have witnessed my supervisor working hard to cover their tracks in the wake of this...sometimes flat-out lying to cover up for what was done.

My quandary is this - I don't trust my supervisor.  I am not willing to say that my supervisor would throw me under the bus if they were called by a admissions committee, but I do not trust this person nonetheless.  

How will prospective schools react if I do not give them permission to speak with my supervisor?  Or is this a non-issue with respect to my prospective schools?

Thank you kindly.

Get your recommendation letters from other people, either where you work or in other places. A doc, PA, or NP would be nice.

Don't worry about the supervisor; you do not need his letter of recommendation. I do not know of schools calling a supervisor. I have been involved in adcoms at two schools and neither did.

I agree with UGoLong; forget having this person as a reference. You have witnessed this person's character, and it doesn't sound to me like this is the kind of person you'd want supporting your candicacy regardless of what ended up in their reccomendation letter.

As far as documenting your work experience, I'd just put in someone else who can vouch that I performed the duties I claimed to on my application. This person isn't required to be your direct supervisor - especially with older applicants oftentimes their supervisor has changed jobs or is no longer affilibated with the organization, so listing someone else is appropriate.If a school is going to call these places (which is unlikely), it is normally just to verify work hours.

Much appreciated.  I have rec letters lined up from others, a college prof, an NP and an DO; I was just concerned about how it would reflect that I do not want an adcom to talk with my direct supervisor, but you all have alleviated my concern.  Thank you kindly!

PS - UGoLong, your book looks like an interesting read!

Archived