A little light ECG reading before starting my PA program - suggestions?

Hey all,

I know the jury is pretty split on what to do before starting PA school, and while I'll be definitely enjoying life and getting all the skiing out my system I still would like to be a little productive in my reading time.

Can anyone recommend a good book to read on ECGs? Both as and intro but also something I might keep as a reference for later on when I'm in practice?

Thanks for any input - I feel like this will ease my cardio unit when I get there!

Additionally: I was talking to an ED doc and he recommended Amul Mattu as a great resource, any others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been told and since I am not a PA-S yet, take this with a grain of salt, but I have heard you cannot go wrong with Rapid Interpretation of EKG's-Sixth-Edition If you just want to look something up Wikipedia is your friend. Or make Google your best friend, I know it is mine. Truthfully, I can't stand what I have read about Dublin ... If you are curious read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Dubin

Hey all,

I know the jury is pretty split on what to do before starting PA school, and while I'll be definitely enjoying life and getting all the skiing out my system I still would like to be a little productive in my reading time.

Can anyone recommend a good book to read on ECGs? Both as and intro but also something I might keep as a reference for later on when I'm in practice?

Thanks for any input - I feel like this will ease my cardio unit when I get there!

Additionally: I was talking to an ED doc and he recommended Amul Mattu as a great resource, any others?

Dubin is a programmed text. Meaning, read a few pages, answer some questions. It leads the reader through learning interpretation step by step and does a reasonable job if you can stand that type of learning.

I think a better book is The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need.

Amul Mattu is over your head for now, maybe later if you pursue a field where EKG interpretation is common. A consideration is that Mattu's insight is applicable in many cases but he does focus on EKG interpretation in the ED with acute complaints.

But preview of EKG prior to school is not a good idea, it is a diagnostic test you should get comfortable with in the context of learning during the cardiac block. Hard to put in context prior to school.

Medical terminology is a better bet prior to school.

Borborygmi.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Ahh! Thanks @GBrothers! That is the information I was wanting when I posted! Some direction mixed in with a bit of realistic advice on the topic!

Perfect sounds like I'll get a book but not put to much stress on learning it all! I just want a little familiarity when it comes to that block! It's one aspect which I did not get much exposure to in my Undergraduate studies!

I'm a current PA student and we just got done with the EKG section. Dubin's was a required text for us, and was incredibly helpful! To be honest, I'm not much of a textbook reader but I actually enjoyed this book and learned a lot from it. 

I understand your desire to be prepared for PA school. There's a lot to learn, and it would be nice to have a bit of a background in everything. Not to be pessimistic, but that's just not possible. You've been preparing to be a PA for awhile now, and you're going to find that there's classes that you excel in because of your experience.

I know you're planning on enjoying life, but seriously, put those texts down and focus on doing things you enjoy with the people who mean the most to you. But if you absolutely MUST do something, brush up on the absolute basics of immunology, or introduce yourself to it. Immunology is covered in a lot of class subjects, and some of my classmates stated that they wished it was a requirement.

Hope that helps! Have fun skiing

Archived