New to PA, foreign medical graduate

Hi fellows , I am a foreign medical graduate moved to USA 10 years back and was not able to pursue my career for some reasons, its late for me now to take USMLE as  its hard to get into residency, thinking about PA program, what are my chances to get the admission, I am also doing an MPH, and thinking to apply next year for PA after I am done with prerequisites.

Are there any online anatomy and physiology courses for PA school( Touro University  in NV) , i wanted to complete all my prerequisites  online and apply next year.any advice will be helpful .

thanks 

in some ways you are at a disadvantage

We are not Doc's

We don't want to be doc's

we have to function as a team member, and work with docs, unlike some docs that think they are a stand alone island

I am not on any type  of adcom so no idea what the admission side of things is, but I would not think being a FMG would be a benefit.....

^ agreed...shoulder & all pride aside. No free ticket here. It's competitive. I would explore other option...like the DO program in NYC. The amount of time it would take the OP to become a PA might be equivalent to becoming a DO through the program in NYC. Worth looking into it.

I think only Yale from what I have seen has something against FMGs as far as admissions go. I think if your pre-reqs, TOEFL, GPA, GRE and HCE hours are there - you would be in advantage over another career changer applicant. Maybe some people would be short-sighted as far as thinking you would have an issue with being PA, but in reality you would likely be a person who would move this profession further in scope of practice and clinical excellence. Go for it! Just make sure you know what you are going into...

Thanks for all the replies , iam in no mind to stand alone or i would had gone for residency training after the USMLES.Doctors do work as a team and supervised  as well in best interest of patients, only advantage i see is that it will be easy for me to study . I understand that I need all the perquisites, touro university doesn't need a GRE, GPA is fine, but i need anatomy physio credits, microbiology and biochemistry as well.are there any online  credible courses available that are accepted for application.If any pls specify.

EMEDPA, please can you guide me about the courses you mentioned  above for FMGs , i will appreciate , you can private message me as well. thanks

I sat in on MEDEX's information session and was very surprised to see 4 or 5 FMGs (out of about 40 people). From what I could tell MEDEX neither weights this as a positive nor a negative factor, they simply just get a higher percentage of FMG applicants therefore they usually accept 1 or 2 per class.

This was just my impression - but I agree with E, it's prob best to call the programs and get the skinny directly from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Iam an FMG(3y old grad done with all usmle without attempts and have GC, could not make it into residency) applying for PA school this year. Do i need to take any prerequisites( done with gre 299 n tofel 107). Can you suggest me some schools names....and do i have a chance of getting into PA school.

I think PA is a fine pathway for FMG. I'm not sure why other forum members are discouraging you.

Go to the pre PA forum. There are already threads there with links to online pre req classes. As far as what pre reqs are required, school websites will list them. Everyone wants full year of bio, chem and a and p. What state do you want to go to school in? What is your gpa and we can estimate how competitive you are.

FMG in my class as well. Was a practicing surgeon. He thought he would breeze through material, but learned pretty quickly he wouldn't. Nothing but good things to say about him as he showed up everyday and was a part of the class and helped teach others who struggling with concepts he well understood. He was grateful to practice medicine in the US.

Archived