Mini residency as refresher

What are some of the clinical skills you are able to utilize as a PA in ob/gyn (what sort of stuff do you mainly see? Any ob? Same parameters as an NP would in the same field? I am planning on going to PA school, but think ob/gyn is field i want to be in, which is inundated with NPs. Thanks (sorry to hijack your thread for a minute) :)

I perform colposcopies with cervical biopsies. I am trained to do LEEP procedures. I do prenatal and postpartum care. I elect not to do deliveries. UI also do gynecology both well care and problem visits. As an OB/GYN PA you can do a variety of things including all that I mentioned before, IUD placement, norplant placement, first-assisiting in surgery and as long as you can get credentialed- vaginal deliveries. Right now, I work in the outpatient setting because that is better for me, I do plan to do surgical first assisting in the near future. There is one Postgraduate PA program in Women's Health in California.

wow, that is pretty fantastic, all stuff I think I would very much enjoy! (I've heard WHNP really only do the basic gyn procedures which I think would get boring)--I wanted to see if PAs can do a little ob as well, and not all gyn if they chose. I know the delivery part of it is tough to get because of other malpractice issues and the fact that you have both ob/gyn and midwives to do that. Do you know roughly the number of PAs or hospitals that allow PAs to deliver? What is/can be the salary for the type of work you do?

I was under the impression that the residency in OB/GYN at Montefiore did not exist. When I graduated 7 years ago I wnated an OB/GYN residency in the Northeast. For a list of hospitals that allow PAs to deliver, you can check the website for http://www.obgynpa.org ( I think) It is the website for physician assistants in obstetrics and gynecology. I am not sure of the salary range, and remember salary varies by location. You make more too if you did first assisting as well as office ob/gyn.

I was under the impression that the residency in OB/GYN at Montefiore did not exist. When I graduated 7 years ago I wnated an OB/GYN residency in the Northeast. For a list of hospitals that allow PAs to deliver, you can check the website for www.obgynpa.org ( I think) It is the website for physician assistants in obstetrics and gynecology. I am not sure of the salary range, and remember salary varies by location. You make more too if you did first assisting as well as office ob/gyn.

It existed when I was there but that was 10 yrs ago. Call the program to find out.

Archived