Passed PANCE! Pre-PANCE averages and study time:

So, I thought I would start a thread to calm some nerves (or worsen them if you haven't studied) as to my pre-PANCE habits and averages. I hope other feel free to add!

Study Time:

4 solid weeks.
The last 2 weeks I focused were focused on "the big 4"
(cardiology, respiratory, musculoskeletal, and GI)

Study Tools: (Both CME4LIFE and Rutgers have discounts, private message me for details if after you
have played around with them and like them to save some $$)

CME4LIFE PANCE PREP Videos - great linking techniques, make recalling information quick and
easy. Felt like this was worth every penny! Sitting for 5 hours
your brain begins to 2nd guess itself. However, the linking
techniques made recalling answers EASY! So I felt confident
with my answers.

Rutgers - MY CME - This is a must have for me. It was a full review of all of the blueprint topics but
wasn't so deep that you'd get in the weeds. This (added with CME4LIFE) was
the BEST decision I had made for PANCE prep!

Comprehensive Review NCCPA BOOK - eh.... This wasn't my favorite. But it was a nice reference
when I wanted a little deeper answer than what Rutgers or
CME4LIFE gave.

Now for the study guides:

PAeasy - I would do 60 question quizzes and would allow for it to show me if I was right or wrong. I would read the correct answer and the explanation to EACH question. (I know people say they have something like a +/-5% accuracy HOWEVER if you read the explanations you can dodge that issue)
PAeasy scores- averaged high 60's to 80's for each 60 question block. Overall score of 73%

Kaplan - I would do the same as paeasy. The question were harder, no doubt, and I would score 60%-70%

Final word, I walked out of the PANCE feeling like I passed. In the past I would have horrible anxiety testing/post-test but I really felt like I was a week away from getting my "C" and sure enough I got it yesterday. SO, good luck to you all! Now go STUDY!!!

Thanks for posting a realistic study approach! I remember reading this forum before I took the PANCE in September and managed to freak myself out that I hadn't been studying for months in advance. Four weeks is plenty, folks. So much of what's on the test is what you're carrying around with you already. You know your weak points and what you just have to drill. I studied for five weeks, probably only needed three. Started going a little stir crazy after week three. 

Here's another point for those who just took the test and are anxious little balls of stress awaiting their results: You will be hyper focused on the ones you know you missed. Let it go. Think of all the many questions you just clicked through. Statistically, you'll be fine!

Pance (taken almost 20 years ago-given only once/yr then. week long test with 3 writtens and 3 practicals). studied 3 hrs/day x 3 months. used swanson's family practice recertification review and the aapa guides + appleton and lange.attended 3 day USC review course.

Panre #1 studied total 5-6 hrs

Panre # 2 studied maybe 2 hrs

Panre #3 this year: brought my ID

EM CAQ in 2011 (inaugural exam) : worked a shift the day before, didn't sleep, drank too much coffee, brought my ID.

passed all by a large and comfortable margin. Probably need to take both panre and the caq 2 more times before retirement from full time clinical practice. after that I will let nccpa lapse, but keep my license by doing cme only(which works in my state).

• 8 months later...

Archived