Tips on staying focused when tired

Some no-matter-whats for me:

Know your own brain and when it works the best. Then try to schedule your school/homework accordingly.

Get enough sleep. When you can't on a particular day, make some time for a nap the next day or have a morning you don't have to get up early.

Take 20-30 minutes for a walk some time during the day.

Make sure you are eating right and try not to do work while you eat.

If you are so inclined, try to watch one TV show you enjoy every day.

See a friend/family member or talk with one on the phone.

Drink lots of water.  Lots of water, all day every day.  This makes a huge difference for me--even more than coffee.  Salty foods help wake you up.  Sugar will make you crash.  Gentle adrenal tonics are helpful--gentle ones to be taken regularly (like eleuthero, ashwaganda, and schisandra) and not high doses of stimulants like Ginseng.  (Innate Response and Gaia make high quality ones.)  And never pull all-nighters.  Even a few hours far outweighs the other costs of staying up all night to study.  

Just wash down 250 mg of Armodafinil and 10 mg of Amphetamine Salts with a grande cappuccino and chase it with a 16 oz. red bull. Then maybe sip on a chai tea to level you out, yeah, now we’re getting somewhere.  Really Armodafinil works great, I've been a shift worker for years and it changed my life but may be overkill for you.

Archived