I considered a residency. But, then I had the opportunity to speak with HR departments in 3 different hospitals as to the benefits. Basically there's a pay scale for PA's. With no experience you start at the bottom of the scale. With a lot of experience or a residency under your belt, you start higher up on the scale. Regardless, the scale is only so large and therefore with a residency you hit the max cap quicker. Benefits??? You hit the cap in 2 years instead of 3 years. I'm not going to deny the fantastic, dedicated, individual experience one would receive in a residency, but if your goal is to use a residency to get ahead in the payroll side.....it's not worth the time or energy.

I'm not sure anyone would use the residency to get ahead on the payscale. What would be the reasoning for that? You're already taking a half salary pay cut for a year. As a new PA with little medical experience (I was a CNA for two years), the main reason I am doing a residency is to increase my medical experience so that my application is more competitive than other new grads as well as those who have been practicing less than 3 years. Also, my specialty requires a residency if I want to compete for jobs with NNPs. If you're doing a residency for a pay increase then you're doing residency wrong.

We live in a world where more training and experience makes you more competitive and eligible for more responsibility and pay. There is nothing wrong with that. If you reach a hospital's salary cap, you can look for a job elsewhere that pays more. Hospitals are bureaucracies and are heavily regulated. In the REAL private sector, you can get a job that pays bonuses for productivity and, with the right training and experience, that can become very lucrative. When everyone else seems to care about nothing BUT money ( notice how you are taxed, fee'd and nickel and dimed to death), why should health care providers eschew money as though it were a bad thing. Those who have the time and can afford the low pay to do a year of residency should think of it as an investment in their future.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived