Ebola: Dear Kaci Hickox

Doesn't matter.  Someone in the spotlight of medicine challenging protocol sets a dangerous precedent.  21 days is nothing.  Suck it up.  Imagine if this virus were to mutate similar to flu strains- become airborne.  Once a precedent is set that people can disregard the policies it's game over.  

Not my point.  There's proper ways to challenge these protocols.  I'm not disagreeing with you in what you're saying.  Just saying as health care workers the we are in the spot light.  People are watching.  That's all I'm saying.  And, in reference to your comment that quarantines only serve to increase public's fear....you have it backwards.  States are creating their own quarantines due to the fact that there IS ALREADY unfounded public fear of a raging epidemic.  21 days is nothing if it makes your community and neighbors feels safer. This woman walking around publicly puts people at unrest whether you deem it threatening or not.   

Not my point.  There's proper ways to challenge these protocols.  I'm not disagreeing with you in what you're saying.  Just saying as health care workers the we are in the spot light.  People are watching.  That's all I'm saying.  And, in reference to your comment that quarantines only serve to increase public's fear....you have it backwards.  States are creating their own quarantines due to the fact that there IS ALREADY unfounded public fear of a raging epidemic.  21 days is nothing if it makes your community and neighbors feels safer. This woman walking around publicly puts people at unrest whether you deem it threatening or not.   

Lots of people think vaccines cause autism.  Maybe we should stop giving vaccines altogether because it causes public fear.

Our health policies should be based on science, not hysteria.

Lots of people think vaccines cause autism. Maybe we should stop giving vaccines altogether because it causes public fear.

Our health policies should be based on science, not hysteria.

Science is based on what we know, and our knowledge is incomplete on Ebola transmission in the developed world. For a while it had a reproduction rate of TWO in an advanced healthcare setting (ie: 2 nurses got it from one patient)....that is epidemiologically huge. Fortunately this appears to have been a fluke, although I'm not sure we understand why.

Epidemiology is a science, and part of epidemiology is effective quarantine of vectors and possible vectors.

It is disingenuous to label people as hysterical simply because they think we should follow common sense travel restrictions and quarantine of high risk individuals. While we may disagree, it is not because I am hysterical.

The question in this case is not about transmission form known carriers but quarantine of known contacts without documented infection- a huge difference

This RN is in a remote area of ME and apparently has been out bike riding with her husband, not glad-handing in the town square

Both the RN and the states could show a better measure of restraint. Likely, neither will happen.

Archived