Residency Timing

Pay cut aside, is is better to do a residency straight our of PA school or to do one with a year or so of experience under your belt? Obviously, each program is different, but do programs view PA-S and PA-C applicants differently or are there preferences?

I want to do a residency, but may have to postpone for a year or so. The definite up side is that this opens up a number of residencies that I could not apply to due to the graduation date of my program, however, there seems something less "natural" about this path. 

I think as a new grad you will get way more out of it... Like you said, it would be pretty hard to go back and take a 50k paycut. Look at it this way...

Option A: Graduate and take whatever decent job you can get as a new grad. Quit after 1 year to do a residency. Take a $50k paycut and increased work hours as well.

Option B: Go straight into a residency, continue those long PA school hours, but at least you're getting paid a modest salary. Graduate residency and likely have 5+ job offers waiting for you. Take your pick and stay at that job as long as you want.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

Obviously, my preference would be to do one immediately after school. I'm wondering how the programs view the difference as some fodder to add to the pot when weighing my options. Hopefully, I won't even have to worry about putting it off, but there is a possibility that it would a beneficial move in the long term for reasons that aren't appropriate for an online forum.

Ok, gotcha. I guess it's hard to say how programs view it. I doubt that being one year removed from school really changes a whole lot. From what I've seen and heard, they are more interested in your intangibles (desire to learn, motivation, etc...) than your level of experience. That being said, I can't see how having an extra year of experience could hurt anything.

you can apply at any time, it's just harder the longer out of school you are because your responsibilities have increased; car payment, mortgage, kids, etc.

I am thinking (ok, just a little bit) about doing an em or critical care residency after the kids go to college. at that point I would be 25 yrs out of school...but debt free, so similar to a new grad in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived