Updated: New U.S. case (Ebola) - Mandatory Quarantines in NY,NJ & IL

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think had we had a mandated 21 day quarantine of EVERYONE who potentially came in contact with any Ebola patient it would minimize the rigmarole of "retracing their steps" and moreover, reduce the spread. Kinda makes sense. Like the Lab tech and the Nurse who were travelling, they should have been on a 21 day hold. Dr. Spencer, along with anyone else returning to the US after treating live ebola should have been transported back on a NON-COMMERCIAL flight and quarantined for 21 days before releasing to the general public. There, make me the Ebola CZAR!!! LOL

The self-imposed quarantine in this case apparently included bowling, three subway trips, a visit to friends and a restaurant stop.

I don't think I ever had a quarantine lecture in PA school, but this is not what I imagined when I think of a quarantine. I am with Joel on this one.

I read that a Charles Haas physician from Drexel studying Ebola found that there was up to a 12 percent chance of infection even after the 21 day window.  He feels that the quarantine time should be greater.  I agree that we need to get the most intelligent, unbiased experts in the field to develop a plan which protects the citizens of this country first, then try to figure how we can help both in Africa and globally.

It's a media zoo outside the hospital. Walking to lunch across the street and cameras are panning and following me. :D lol.

Can't comment on what I hear some staff members are saying behind the official release...

Lol was asked by a reporter to answer questions, directed them to public relations :)

this has potential to get very bad

NYC, wandering around for a while---- wonder how many people he exposed?

doesn't look good......  

Yeah, he was indeed wandering around all over the place.  He did not self-quarantine like I said he did (got that from an obviously incorrect news blurb on the screen).  I am very impressed and appreciative with the courage and dedication of these people going over to help, but good grief, where is the common sense?  All three of the most recent health care workers diagnosed traveled around all over the place after caring for someone infected with ebola.  I don't understand.

Edit:  Just saw this.  Possible quarantine for health workers from W. Africa

I think the responsible thing to do is hole up in a motel somewhere for 3 weeks and eat a lot of take out, read a lot of books and don't go home or visit with friends or family.

what would be nice is if the govt set up a facility for returning folks and housed them/fed them/screened them for 3 weeks at some central location. I would be ok with staying at a holiday inn express commandeered by the govt for 3 weeks.

I think the responsible thing to do is hole up in a motel somewhere for 3 weeks and eat a lot of take out, read a lot of books and don't go home or visit with friends or family.

what would be nice is if the govt set up a facility for returning folks and housed them/fed them/screened them for 3 weeks at some central location. I would be ok with staying at a holiday inn express commandeered by the govt for 3 weeks.

I wonder about the logistics of quarantine.  Should the returnees be allowed to interact with one another?  If not they'll go stir crazy.  But if only 1 of them ends up positive for Ebola, the 21 day quarantine would have to restart, from the new exposure. 

I wonder about the logistics of quarantine.  Should the returnees be allowed to interact with one another?  If not they'll go stir crazy.  But if only 1 of them ends up positive for Ebola, the 21 day quarantine would have to restart, from the new exposure. 

Many countries are already doing this and have been doing it for some time.  When you have actual physicians flying in from West Africa after treating Ebola patients and then bowling, getting take out, riding subways, whatever, and nurses who hop on planes and travel around after taking care of Ebola patients while infectious (and both were), the least of anyone's concern should be about these people getting bored while in isolation.

It be a hell of a lot cheaper in comparison to the resources spent to retrace all possible interactions of the patient in question!

Just route all flights with healthcare professionals through some military base in Arkansas! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many countries are already doing this and have been doing it for some time.  When you have actual physicians flying in from West Africa after treating Ebola patients and then bowling, getting take out, riding subways, whatever, and nurses who hop on planes and travel around after taking care of Ebola patients while infectious (and both were), the least of anyone's concern should be about these people getting bored while in isolation.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the quarantine for people exposed to a known ebola patient.  I was just thinking aloud about how it would look in practice

It be a hell of a lot cheaper in comparison to the resources spent to retrace all possible interactions of the patient in question!

Just route all flights with healthcare professionals through some military base in Arkansas! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe 5 different quarantine facilities, one near each of the 5 airports where flights are allowed from W. Africa (Dulles, NJ, NY, Atlanta, Chicago).  

Almost a decade ago, scientists from Canada and the United States reported that they had created a vaccine that was 100 percent effective in protecting monkeys against the Ebola virus. The results were published in a respected journal, and health officials called them exciting. The researchers said tests in people might start within two years, and a product could potentially be ready for licensing by 2010 or 2011. 

It NEVER happened. The vaccine sat on a shelf. Only now is it undergoing the most basic safety tests in humans — with nearly 5,000 people dead from Ebola and an epidemic raging out of control in West Africa. Read more: New York Times  

Latest update.  Put in place by Christie and Cuomo.  Woman involuntarily quarantined.

New York, New Jersey Set Up Mandatory Quarantine Requirement Amid Ebola Threat

Excerpts:

The new procedures already have been put into use at Newark Liberty International Airport.

"The patients with the highest level of possible exposure will be automatically quarantined for 21 days at a government-regulated facility. Those with a lower risk will be monitored for temperature and symptoms, Cuomo explained."

On Friday, a health care worker landed at Newark after treating Ebola patients in West Africa, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said at the news conference. A legal quarantine was issued for the woman, who was not a New Jersey resident and was set to go on to New York afterward. “This woman, while her home residence is outside the area, said her next stop was going to be here in New York,” Christie said. “Governor Cuomo and I discussed it before we came out here, and a quarantine order will be issued.”

The woman will be quarantined in either New York or New Jersey, Christie said.

In discussing the new plan, Cuomo and Christie said a policy of voluntary quarantine simply does not go far enough. “Voluntary quarantine – you know it’s almost an oxymoron. This is a very serious situation.” Cuomo said. “Voluntary quarantine – raise your right hand and promise you’re going to stay home for 21 days. We’ve seen what happens.”

“He [spencer] was a doctor, and even he didn’t follow the guidelines,” Cuomo said. With that in mind, the states have to lay down the law, the governors said.

“It’s too serious a situation to leave it to the honor system,” Cuomo said.

Like I said, put me up for 3 weeks and feed me and I'm fine with that. saves me the expense of a hotel and take out for 3 weeks.

What if it's only Motel 6?  I can hear Tom Bodett now.  "Sometimes you just need to get away from everything and everyone...like all those that have been to Sierra Leone or Liberia...or anyone that went bowling in Brooklyn with a guy named Craig Spencer."

What if it's only Motel 6?  I can hear Tom Bodett now.  "Sometimes you just need to get away from everything and everyone...like all those that have been to Sierra Leone or Liberia...or anyone that went bowling in Brooklyn with a guy named Craig Spencer."

I'm not picky. that's probably where I would have stayed anyway.

Archived