Per Diem Advice

Hello, I have been working full time as a PA for 2 years now and have experience in both pain management as well as outpatient pre and post op care for orthopedic spine surgery. My question is does anyone know whether or not there would be difficulty based on my prior experience in obtaining a per diem job on the inpatient side of things. All my experience is outpatient and i an looking for per diem jobs in the NYC area but they all appear to be in-patient. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

In patient management, as you no doubt know, varies widely from outpatient.  A per diem would likely be fine if you had a good support system - good docs and senior PAs to train you.  If they want to hire you and have you hit the ground running, there will be a period of several months where you will be a liability to your patients while getting up to speed.  Check into what they're hoping to get out of you - the per diem nature of this makes me wonder if they want you to be proficient at inpatient management already.  There are so many facets of inpatient medicine that you have to be aware of from prophylaxis while in the hospital to social elements of patient care to proper dietary additives based on meds and fluid losses, etc.  Unless you have a good support system, you will be in over your head quickly (we all would).  Hope it helps.

Archived