anatomy and physiology

Hello everyone, 

So basically my university only offers two quarters of anatomy and physiology (A&P I and A&P II) for a total of ten quarter units. There are also cadavers involved with lab (we can look at them, but don't actually do the dissecting). However, I have noticed that most PA schools require an entire school year of anatomy and physiology. Does this mean that if I take it at my school I won't meet the full prerequisite required? Should I take the course instead at a community college that does offer a year long sequence, but might not have cadavers? Any advice is welcome as I have no idea what I should do! Thank you! 

A&P I and II is a full year of anatomy and physiology.

A&P I is mostly anatomy based (all systems), while A&P II is mostly physiology (renal, reproductive, cardiopulmonary, digestive, excretory,  with some chemistry thrown in). Most schools are set up like this.

Even though extremely helpful, cadavers will only be beneficial if you're allowed to self-dissect and examine it.  

Get an electronic version of the syllabi (both A&P I and II) that has the course description and materials covered. Send it the schools you're planning on applying to for an exact answer.

I feel like it should count if it covers the entire human organ systems and it's physiology. Mine totaled to 8 semester credits (2 semesters/1 year) and yours is 10 quarter credits....which is equivalent. 

The typical conversion factor is 1 quarter hour is 2/3rds of a semester hour. This could vary, I suppose, but it seems to be the general rule. So 10 quarter hours may be more like 6.67 semester hours. 

Best to call a program or two that you are interested in and check it out.

Good luck!

Guest MedLib42

Although some programs might ask for a "full year", many schools don't actually go by the length of time you spent in the class, they usually have a required number of credits you have to fulfill. Many of the programs I applied to require 8 semester credits of A&P (which, at traditional semester-based schools, equates to 3 credits lecture, 1 credit lab for each class, and each class typically takes up a full semester). 

Although some schools, like UC Davis, simply state that you must fulfill "two courses in human A&P or one course anatomy, one course physiology, over the course of two semesters or two quarters" in which case you would be fine in fulfilling the requirements. So it's going to depend very largely on the schools you apply to.

Rev is exactly right - 10 quarter credits equates to 6.67 semester credits. So check with the schools you're looking to apply to and see what their requirements are specifically. If it says "full year", you might want to call them and see how they view quarter credits. 

I would double check the conversion, but I took A&P at a school that offered it in quarters and was just accepted to PA school so apparently they didn't care. :) Good luck! I have heard that some schools feel that taking it at a 4 year college in better than a community college, but once again, I didn't know that at the time and it did not hurt me. Fight to get all A's no matter where you go though. 

I am taking anatomy and physiology I and II at my university (4 credits a semester for a total of 8 credits). The lab component of each class is online, but the lecture takes place in a classroom. Is this acceptable? 

I think you should clarify what you mean.  Is it a hybrid course? Lecture and lab taught by the same professor? What will be displayed on your transcript? Are you doing the labs in class or at home?  Some schools will not look favorably on online labs.  You need to verify if the schools you are applying to accept that. First you need to know how to communicate EXACTLY what kinda class you are taking. For example, the class I took was 100% in person for the lecture and the labs were all hands on inside the class but lab instructions and supporting documents were DISTRIBUTED only. Lab reports were submitted online.  Just not sure what you mean by "online labs".

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should clarify what you mean.  Is it a hybrid course? Lecture and lab taught by the same professor? What will be displayed on your transcript? Are you doing the labs in class or at home?  Some schools will not look favorably on online labs.  You need to verify if the schools you are applying to accept that. First you need to know how to communicate EXACTLY what kinda class you are taking. For example, the class I took was 100% in person for the lecture and the labs were all hands on inside the class but lab instructions and supporting documents were DISTRIBUTED only. Lab reports were submitted online.  Just not sure what you mean by "online labs".

Hi there. What I mean is, the lecture is 100% in-person, but the weekly lab is a virtual or simulated exercise using an online program. My transcript does not say that the lab exercises were online. It simply says Anatomy and Physiology I and II, 4 credits each. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

So basically my university only offers two quarters of anatomy and physiology (A&P I and A&P II) for a total of ten quarter units. There are also cadavers involved with lab (we can look at them, but don't actually do the dissecting). However, I have noticed that most PA schools require an entire school year of anatomy and physiology. Does this mean that if I take it at my school I won't meet the full prerequisite required? Should I take the course instead at a community college that does offer a year long sequence, but might not have cadavers? Any advice is welcome as I have no idea what I should do! Thank you! 

Call your prospective school's admissions dept and ask this question directly.  I only have half of a 1-yr A/P course, 1 upper div course in vertebrate physiology, and some A/P on my military training equivalence transcript.  Out of 10 or so schools I've emailed to see if the aforementioned classes would pass for their respective A/P I & II pre-reqs, only 2 schools said no, the rest said yes.

Archived