Accuracy Epocrates in Peds

I'm not trying to start a debate on which program is best. I'm sure they all have their strong and weak points. I truly need this answer. I'm in a rural IM & Peds group. Been there 2 months and my background is mostly surgery with a year of hospitalist so I'm still learning. I mostly see urgent care-Walk ins & same day call ins which keeps me hopping.

Yesterday in clinic one of the Docs (not my

Boss) pulled me aside and said "I'm not trying to be picky but Epocrates is not accurate for Ped's dosing" she says she has compared Epocrates, Harriet Lane & Lexicomp. Lexicomp is the most accurate. Now she has recently finished residency and is known for spending too much time, ordering too many tests, etc.

I've used this program for 10 years and have a new paid subscription. I'm comfortable with it and have never had any issues. Can someone give me honest insight on this. I've not noticed it to be inaccurate.

Thanks

She is being picky.

She needs to give specific examples of differences and why.

In the interests of being collegial, I would engage her in conversation about this.

Rather passive aggressive behavior to bring something up, say it is not a big deal but....

Shows the lack of insight into being able to work with others.

Other thing I have also done is to look up dosing for conditions that has been reviewed, researched, recommended by national organizations.

Kind of hard to argue with a recommendation from the AAP for a pediatrician.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

Thanks for the replies. She was being picky. She just happened to look and see my Epocrates open. I was actually looking at a disease and not a drug. I usually do double check things between epocrates and medscape. I'm not sure if the practice would pay for it or not. They just bought my epocrates a few weeks ago. I generally use amoxicillin, augmentin, omnicef, etc. Same drugs over and over. I tend to take my questions to the other Doc there as he will give me a straight forward answer.

All that said. This is now a non-issue. She resigned today. Not that it was an issue. I practice separate from her and as I said she isn't my boss. i can use what I want but after she said that it made me question the accuracy of it. I've not noticed a difference for the drugs I use.

Thanks again

I agree with the other posts.  Epocrates is likely ok, but if you're unsure check it against recommended doses (I usually use UpToDate for my cross check as it's easy, but Medscape if I don't have internet access).  You'll only have to check it once or twice before you know what's right and what's not.  I always double check dosing in several places if I've never used a med before, regardless of the age of the patient. 

Thanks for the replies. She was being picky. She just happened to look and see my Epocrates open. I was actually looking at a disease and not a drug. I usually do double check things between epocrates and medscape. I'm not sure if the practice would pay for it or not. They just bought my epocrates a few weeks ago. I generally use amoxicillin, augmentin, omnicef, etc. Same drugs over and over. I tend to take my questions to the other Doc there as he will give me a straight forward answer.

All that said. This is now a non-issue. She resigned today. Not that it was an issue. I practice separate from her and as I said she isn't my boss. i can use what I want but after she said that it made me question the accuracy of it. I've not noticed a difference for the drugs I use.

Thanks again

humm

cosmic justice?

Archived