Difference between paid and unpaid HCE hours

Okay. This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place! I just recently decided that I want to pursue the PA profession after I graduate in the next 2 years so I have time to get HCE. I know that there is an obvious difference of being paid vs unpaid. My question is that if there was a choice between actually having hands on patient care that was unpaid vs doing something that really doesn't do much with the patients but is paid. Some of the schools I've looked at say "paid hours" but is there really that much of a difference? Or does it all really not matter?

They want paid hands on experience, not just any experience in which you get a paycheck for. Some form of nursing support (usually technicians) will suffice this requirement. There are many options such as; EMT, MA, Phleb, RT, RN, OT, PTA, etc.

I'm assuming paid experience takes on more responsibilities than volunteer work. If you're applying with a paid experience (let's say, cashier)...getting in will be that much harder because 1: it's not direct patient care even though it's paid. Paid clinical hours trumps all because you're participating in the patients' health outcome and you're getting paid for your services. 

Does that answer your question?

Okay. This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place! I just recently decided that I want to pursue the PA profession after I graduate in the next 2 years so I have time to get HCE. I know that there is an obvious difference of being paid vs unpaid. My question is that if there was a choice between actually having hands on patient care that was unpaid vs doing something that really doesn't do much with the patients but is paid. Some of the schools I've looked at say "paid hours" but is there really that much of a difference? Or does it all really not matter?

If the schools you're looking at specifically say "paid" hours then yes you should acquire some paid hands-on experience. However, if I were you I would go ahead and volunteer in the position that has hands on patient care while you try to obtain a certification or acquire a healthcare job that would be willing to train you on the job. That way you could still be building up hours for programs that allow volunteer HCE while strengthening your qualifications for a paid HCE position at the same time. Not to mention all programs like to see volunteer hours!

Archived