Please critique my credentials!

Hi everyone!. I was wondering if you could all evaluate the competitveness of my application.

Double Major from Rutgers University in Biological Sciences and Exercise Science.

My GPA from Biological Sciences is attrocious (~2.2) because I was originally a Pharm D. and transferred out after realizing I was not cut out for it and I wasn't mature enough at the time to handle that level of studies. When I went back to school again for exercise science, my GPA for the 3 semesters was not less than 3.4 but it still wasn't enough to boost my GPA significantly due to having too many credits from the pharmacy program and the biological science degree. I have also done a postbacc in order to boost my gpa and retake my pre-reqs which are 10+ years old.

Postbacc GPA while retaking my pre-reqs: 3.64

After the postbacc:
cGPA: 2.96
sGPA: 2.94
(I have too many undergrad credits to budge my gpa!)

Gen Bio 1 & 2: A
Gen Chem 1 & 2 : A
A & P 1 & 2: A
Biochem: A
Microbio: A
Statistics: B+
EKG: A

Psych: A

GRE SCORES
Quantitative: 153
Verbal: 155
Analytical: 4.5

I also have clinical health care experience in multiple areas.

critical care technician (emergency department) - 450+ hours (present)
clinical care technician (neuroscience) - 2300 hours
physical therapy aid - 300+ hours
Rutgers human anatomy cadaver lab instructor - taught 3 labs per semester for 2 years
PA shadowing, dept. of neurosurgery - 271 hours

Based on my improved academics and clinical experience. What do you think my chances are of getting into a program? Thank you for your time.

I applied to a broad range of schools in order to improve my chances.

31 programs applied to
12 rejections w/out interviews
19 schools waiting for interviews/responses

You have a good story to tell and there would be no successful applicants for anything in this world if some early missteps were enough to disqualify you. You should be able to write a compelling personal statement that would get you an interview at most places you might apply to. Don't be too quick to apologize for changing your career direction.

What struck me was:

1. You were mature enough to see you were on the wrong path

2. You came back and got the grades you needed 

3. You have good healthcare experience

4. You were good enough at anatomy to teach it (that gets my vote!)

Best of luck!

Failed out of college my first year.  Centered my personal statement around how this failure in life ultimately allowed me to grow and shaped my path for the future.  It allowed me to take time off from school, do career exploration, and find a passion for health, wellness, and fitness.  (I was originally an engineer major my first year).  After taking a few years off, I went back for a Kinesiology and Nursing degree with a 3.9.  Despite this, my GPA was still only a 3.0 cumulative.  Many schools that had minimum GPAs of 3.2 etc. still granted me an interview because of my personal statement.  I also had great LoR from clnical faculty, nursing managers, doctors, and PAs with over 4,000 hours of HCE and shadowing.  Ended up getting into Rutgers and Quinnipiac.  Grades aren't everything and AdComs know that.  Just get that interview, and the rest lies in your personality and passion for the career.

• Administrator

12 out-of-hand rejections suggests you didn't do your homework on programs carefully enough.  I'm guessing they have 3.0 cGPA or sGPA floors, neither of which you meet.  Some of them might have informal floors that aren't advertised well, but you can see from any stats posted about their classes how low they are actually willing to reach in the GPA realm.

Yes, it's tough to budge a GPA once you have a lot of credits, but what you need are more undergraduate credits at a 4.0 to get over that 3.0 hump, so that 40% of the schools you want to attend won't reject you out of hand.

• 4 years later...
On 10/15/2014 at 9:48 PM, IronManPAC said:

Failed out of college my first year.  Centered my personal statement around how this failure in life ultimately allowed me to grow and shaped my path for the future.  It allowed me to take time off from school, do career exploration, and find a passion for health, wellness, and fitness.  (I was originally an engineer major my first year).  After taking a few years off, I went back for a Kinesiology and Nursing degree with a 3.9.  Despite this, my GPA was still only a 3.0 cumulative.  Many schools that had minimum GPAs of 3.2 etc. still granted me an interview because of my personal statement.  I also had great LoR from clnical faculty, nursing managers, doctors, and PAs with over 4,000 hours of HCE and shadowing.  Ended up getting into Rutgers and Quinnipiac.  Grades aren't everything and AdComs know that.  Just get that interview, and the rest lies in your personality and passion for the career.

Many years later, but how did you decide between the two schools. I am currently in that boat. Do you have any regrets? 

Archived