Expansion of CAQs

Do you think there should be CAQs offered for more specialties?  Are there any known plans for offering additional CAQs? 

I know some PAs do not support CAQs, is this because you do not like the concept of progressive credentialism, or are afraid of not being able to change specialties later?  I look forward to hearing your opinions.

They are adding new CAQs every year or 2. I think the trend will continue and will eventually be tied to a postgrad training requirement. some of the EMPA residencies already mention that their grads will be required to take and pass the em caq. this is the natural evolution of the profession. it happened to the docs 75 years ago. now it's our turn.

They are adding new CAQs every year or 2. I think the trend will continue and will eventually be tied to a postgrad training requirement. some of the EMPA residencies already mention that their grads will be required to take and pass the em caq. this is the natural evolution of the profession. it happened to the docs 75 years ago. now it's our turn.

Ok its nice that they are adding CAQs and that they are still optional (unless you're in the EM program that you mentioned). 

be careful   it may influence versatility    i THINK these CAQs require working in the field for a period so if jobs require the CAQ how do you get that experience ? if the answer is residency programs now it makes versatility difficult. 

laterality mobility is going away regardless....

be careful   it may influence versatility    i THINK these CAQs require working in the field for a period so if jobs require the CAQ how do you get that experience ? if the answer is residency programs now it makes versatility difficult. 

I think that is a legitimate concern.  Employers that want a PA with a CAQ will naturally have to pay a premium for it, maybe some would prefer to take someone less experience and just pay them less?

even before CAQs I thought about moving into emergency medicine and found it a big challenge to switch. In NYC 3 of the major hospital (and I realize NYC is a unique beast)  systems wanted 3 yeas or residency experience. They invited me to apply for the residency at one academic center but that would mean a 30-40k pay cut and force me to move out of NYC. So I stayed in internal medicine and have no regrets.

that horse has already left the barn.....

I think that is a legitimate concern.  Employers that want a PA with a CAQ will naturally have to pay a premium for it, maybe some would prefer to take someone less experience and just pay them less?

If the employer is lookng at it only with a pocketbook. Fortunately practices/systems with strong relations between HR and the clinical side realize that if you only want the cheapest commodity, that's what you'll get.

I think CAQs are a good thing, but I also think there is still plenty of time before they become required to any large extent. People still haven't figured out that we aren't assistants; much less that we have specialized exams. There isn't a good reason to worry that taking these exams will prevent you from switching fields. Just leave it off your resume if there is concern of that. I plan to take the hospital medicine exam after my fellowship and think it would only help my job hunt, even when looking at ER/UC/FP per diem gigs.

Experience requirement varies according to the CAQ but generally 2k to 4k workhours within last 6 years. So 1-2 years in a CAQ specialty which likely will not bury one in a specialty forever.

I believe there are several individuals that hold more than one CAQ designation over the last few years it has been in place. 

I also think there can continue to be laterality amongst several of the CAQ specialty fields, EM, ortho, peds, hospital medicine and psych.

I think an ortho employer may relish a candidate that has a significant background in ortho but likely would also consider the EM PA or hospital medicine PA based upon experience in medicine also. We just hire a candidate that did ED for 5 yrs, ortho for 10, now back to ED, has been picking up per diem during her ortho time. A colleague has 10 yrs EM, see pts in Peds clinic every friday.

I personally think there should be a general surgery, internal medicine, derm and ENT CAQ. CAQs can also set us apart from the NPs in many areas if that is needed.

GB PA-C

Archived