what is the best tablet for clinicals?

I have a kindle fire HDX and have as apps epocrates, clinical advisor and medscape. I don't want to claim it's the best but here is what I like about it.:

It is thin and light with an 8.9" screen and the screen is amazingly bright and clear. Size and weight really matter since tablets can get really heavy, especially with a cover. I got the " poetic" cover from Amazon. It helps to maintain the thinness and lightness and does a good job of protecting the tablet.

It comes with Swype which is easily learned and a great way to "type" without having to hit each key. REALLY SPEEDS UP NOTE TAKING.

Exceptional camera. I really like the pictures. Great for documentation.

Only $379 with 32 gigs.

What you may not like is that it uses a modified version of android so not all android apps work correctly on it. Before buying a tablet be sure you will be able to run the apps you want.

My guess is that most people will recommend the iPad or the Samsung Galaxy. I can't fault either of these choices but they are pricier.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Why not just get a phone with a bigger screen? I went with a Samsung 5S Active and haven't looked back. It fits in my pocket, is pretty much bulletproof, and isn't obtrusive. I just have to be careful when I use it and make sure it doesn't look like I'm just texting when I'm looking things up. Though, I haven't had any issues with preceptors or patients in that department because I'll usually say, "Lemme look that up..." etc, and use it at appropriate times. Furthermore, my computer is a fablet and I haven't once felt a need to use it. 

• 3 months later...

I use a Galaxy 7 tablet but don't carry it with me....too heavy. It's worked fine in a slower paced office where I can sit at my desk and look things up.  I have a Galaxy S4 phone and have used it for pictures only to send to derm or other physicians and personal use.  Now with starting a  new job and required to be on call 4 times a year I may rethink and put all my apps on my phone.  I guess I could deduct it off of taxes then? 

Plus the new job will be faster paced so the phone will be more handy.  Ugh.  Hate the thought of transferring apps to the phone.  I'm technically a dummy.  I'll have my new IT person help me.

Can  I transfer apps I've paid for from my Galaxy Tablet to my phone???

The landscape is changing fast. Now that you can get the Samsung S5 or even bigger screen, Note 4, or one of the new iPhone 6s or other "phablets", the phone may be your best bet. One less thing to carry.

Amen to this! While the screen isn't huge, on my S5, it's big enough for looking things up and reading up on topics in the clinical environment. I couldn't imagine carrying anything larger, especially in rotations where no one wears white coats.

• Administrator

I had an iTouch 3g for my clinicals, even though the 4g was out at the time.  I don't WANT a camera, I didn't need a bigger screen, and 32gb was enough for every app I needed and still a lot of music to jam out to while charting.

I got an iPad mini this year, but I don't use it for clinical stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived