EM Review Book

Hello, so I am starting a job in emergency medicine and wanted to get a book for thorough review on the topics. 

In addition to looking for a review of EM topics, I was also hoping to find a book/videos that show explanation of EM clinical procedures (splinting, slit-lamp exam, ultrasound, etc). I prefer to use something that has pictures/videos as that helps me learn better.

I bought Tintinelli initially, but did not like the book so much. 

I've been searching online and found a couple of books:

1) Rosen's Emergency Medicine by John Marx

2) Emergency Medicine - A Focused Review of the core curriculum by Joel M Schofer

3) Dr Carol Rivers Written Board exam in Emergency Medicine

4) Roberts and Hedges clinical procedures in emergency medicine (this one just explains procedures)

These books are quite hefty in price, so prior to buying any of them, I wanted to ask if anyone has bought any of these books and thought they were helpful? 

I am also open to any other suggestions you may have.

Thank you.

I own all of them.

First, see if work will buy any or all of these for you. 2nd, there may already be a copy at work to look at and review. Spend your money on other things.

My take on the titles:

Rosens

A vast resource for EM. Not light reading. Authoritative but still a text book, Access on line version may get updated sooner but hardcover likely revised every couple 3 years. Your department may have access or a copy.

Rivers and Core Curriculum

Review for EM boards, would be reasonable if you were going to take CAQ in EM for resource. I like the core curriculum, Rivers has undergone an update and I have 3 yr old copy so could have improved. If you work with anyone that recently got board certified, you may be able to borrow their copy.

Hedges

Great procedure text to have at work. Likely there is one there. Dont buy this, let someone else buy it for you if not.

Here is what I would suggest is a better approach:

An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine (Paperback)
You can get it used at Amazon for $65
This is a great book because it introduces you to EM via symptoms which is the way pts come to the ED. There is a ton of put to immediate use info that will make you look like you know what you are doing.

Minor Emergencies: Expert Consult - Online and Print, 3e Paperback – July 5, 2012
I have met both these authors. Available for $65ish on amazon.
The first author is the original writer, this book has been around since late 1990s. The 2nd author really brought this book up to speed.
It is just full of common sense stuff that you likely did not learn in PA school.
When you start work and get some CME monies get these 2 CME sources:

$195 for PAs

Instead of paying full price, join SEMPA for $160 and get EM Practice for $149 as a member benefit

Also try to attend one of the below within the next year or so:

can attend course or get streaming digital version

Part one of 3 planned parts, part 2 & 3 are going to be workshop and procedure related

I would spend the $130 on the 2 texts I mentioned, much cheaper than the $300 for Rosen and you will likely get more out of them.
Good luck
G Brothers PA-C

• 3 weeks later...

Archived