Dallas adds another dubious distinction to its history- first US diagnosis of Ebola

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to ED twice. First walk-in (prob fast track knowing their setup if having "flu-like" symptoms assuming they arrived during fast track hours). Sent home. Came back via EMS several days later. Wouldn't want to be first provider since questions already being asked by press how pt was allowed to go home. Local ID rep at hospital stressing only spread by fluids, not air.

Had a patient ask me today if it was safe to travel to Dallas.  I said, frankly, "If it's not critical that I go there, I will elect to stay away."  I feel like I'm going to incite a panic, but honestly...  If I wouldn't go, knowing what I know, then how can I recommend anyone else go? 

Seems a tad bit excessive. Only one individual with known exposure is displaying symptoms and is already quarantined. Close contacts already being observed. EMS unit out of service as well (threw up in box). Folks don't get the concept of the important medical issues and the associated treatment. Hydration for volume loss, hydration, and did I mention hydration?

I don't know how careful to be with ebola.  My thinking on this is that it's not possible to be too careful.  And if we aren't careful enough, a lot of people have a problem.  Admittedly I may be influenced by the county health officer who sits next to me at work; we're all a little concerned about what it could mean if this thing takes off. 

We'll see.  While they have initially thrown the triage nurse under the bus it will not surprise me at all if it is revealed that this pt. presented during fast track hours at this facility and seen by the PA there.  This facility has a separate FT from the main ED, and if it was open and still staffed as it used to be during my few shifts there a decade ago, the predominant care is from a PA, with serial physician oversight as the physicians round out their respective sequential shifts throughout the day/evening.  I have yet to see/hear any information with regard to the time of the initial walk-in presentation from the first visit.  EM service is contracted to an outside agency at this facility, as well as it's member facilities in the region (DFW and surrounding communities).

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-ebola-texas-20141001-story.html#page=1

He sought care on Friday at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where an emergency room nurse asked whether he had traveled to West Africa and was told that he had, Dr. Mark C. Lester, a hospital network executive, told reporters

“Regretfully, that information was not fully communicated throughout the full team,” Lester said. “As a result, the full import of that information wasn’t factored into the clinical decision-making.”

This is the initial visit and the time in which I would suspect that he would have been triaged to fast track, IF he presented during fast track hours (daytime/evening hours).  If this is the case then most likely he was seen by a PA that contracts with the ED group that provides the Texas Health Resources ED coverage.  Quite frankly, he has a traditional English name, may not have a foreign accent which would be appreciated by the provider, and as the patient he knows that he has already relayed the travel information to the nurse and thus assumes that it is passed along to the provider(s).  This facility sees just about every ethnic and racial entity that you can imagine so it just may not have registered with the provider, especially if they were getting hammered at the time.

Archived