previous DUI

I managed to get accepted this cycle, despite a recent DUI. My next line of concern is whether this will be an issue for clinicals down the line? Anyone have experience or knowledge about this? Specifically I have one DUI (and the associated minor speeding ticket) on my driving record.

(I have already confirmed that I will have no issues getting licensed in several states of interest and that sitting for the exam will also face no hurdles.

Also, please please please don't drink and drive folks, it is dangerous for your community and it is difficult to judge when you may be approaching the limit. The best rule is to never drive with any alcohol in your system. If you can't afford a cab you can't afford a DUI.

Depends on where your clinicals are.  3 of my 10 were at places I had to be fingerprinted for... I had a classmate who couldn't even get placed at a prison because his (rather stunningly common) *name* matched someone on the No-Fly list.

Thanks for responding Rev. Was he able to clear that up? Did he have to find an alternative rotation?

I would recommend discuss this with your faculty advisor, PD or clinical coordinator if you haven't. The sooner the better for the clinical coordinator's sake (they have to schedule placements), but since you will be just starting didatic I will assume you have some time.

Rev is right, usually state and federal correctional centers most likely not allow you to rotate. That has been my experience. The Federal BOP has policies that prevent anyone from working or rotating in their facilities that may have anything in their history that could be compormised when working with inmates (sorry if that is not the PC term). 

Disclaimer: I'm just speaking about what I've seen happen in California's Central Valley, Inland Empire and Los Angeles area. So take this for what it's worth. In house rotations tend to be stricter than out patients clinics. I've noticed in recent years that certain pediatric rotations have really cracked down on not allowing students who have anything discovered on a background check. That just might be specific to certain institutions. I don't know.

Federal facilities like the VA or Military health care facilities are strict about who gets to rotate and their background check are usually more extensive than others in my experience. Some of the FQHC primary care networks have gotten picky and started doing their own background checks and drug screens as well.

I have also seen students denied a rotation initially because they had name similar to someone else, but that usually get cleared up easily unless its a case of identity theft.

The problem is often finding an alternative clinical site especially nowadays. If a program is located in an area where there are a significant number of other PA, NP or Medical students being trained there is competition for sites. Preceptors can then afford to be more selective about who they want to train. 

All that said, I have seen students with past DUIs do well in PA programs and had minimal problems getting through the state licensing board. I have also seen students with past DUIs have difficulties getting rotations because of background checks and were granted a probationary license. Best bet is to talk with your program. More than likely you are not the first one that has been in this situation. Let them know early so you can work for the best outcome possible.

Congrats on getting in and good luck to you in your future PA endeavors.

Respectfully,

LESH

I would recommend discuss this with your faculty advisor, PD or clinical coordinator if you haven't. The sooner the better for the clinical coordinator's sake (they have to schedule placements), but since you will be just starting didatic I will assume you have some time.

Rev is right, usually state and federal correctional centers most likely not allow you to rotate. That has been my experience. The Federal BOP has policies that prevent anyone from working or rotating in their facilities that may have anything in their history that could be compormised when working with inmates (sorry if that is not the PC term). 

Disclaimer: I'm just speaking about what I've seen happen in California's Central Valley, Inland Empire and Los Angeles area. So take this for what it's worth. In house rotations tend to be stricter than out patients clinics. I've noticed in recent years that certain pediatric rotations have really cracked down on not allowing students who have anything discovered on a background check. That just might be specific to certain institutions. I don't know.

Federal facilities like the VA or Military health care facilities are strict about who gets to rotate and their background check are usually more extensive than others in my experience. Some of the FQHC primary care networks have gotten picky and started doing their own background checks and drug screens as well.

I have also seen students denied a rotation initially because they had name similar to someone else, but that usually get cleared up easily unless its a case of identity theft.

The problem is often finding an alternative clinical site especially nowadays. If a program is located in an area where there are a significant number of other PA, NP or Medical students being trained there is competition for sites. Preceptors can then afford to be more selective about who they want to train. 

All that said, I have seen students with past DUIs do well in PA programs and had minimal problems getting through the state licensing board. I have also seen students with past DUIs have difficulties getting rotations because of background checks and were granted a probationary license. Best bet is to talk with your program. More than likely you are not the first one that has been in this situation. Let them know early so you can work for the best outcome possible.

Congrants on getting in and good luck to you in your future PA endeavors.

Respectfully,

LESH

Thanks for the input LESH. I'll certainly take your advice to talk to my clinical coordinator. I am hopeful the midwest is a bit more lenient than the west coast regarding this. However, I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to complete my education and contribute to the profession.

• 4 months later...

Archived