Can you write off your license fees on taxes?

I am new to this, but the hospital I am working for does not pay for board exam fees or licensing fees (including state license, controlled substance license, and DEA license).  Between all of these fees I spent well over $1,000 out of pocket.  (They will not allow me to use my CME allotment to cover these fees either.)

I was just wondering which, if any of these were tax deductible.

Thanks

I am new to this, but the hospital I am working for does not pay for board exam fees or licensing fees (including state license, controlled substance license, and DEA license). Between all of these fees I spent well over $1,000 out of pocket. (They will not allow me to use my CME allotment to cover these fees either.)

I was just wondering which, if any of these were tax deductible.

Thanks

To be specific, board exam fees ARE NOT deductible as these fees are considered to be the cost of meeting the minimum requirements to ENTER you profession. Licensing and regulatory fees ARE deductible so your state licence and DEA are deductible. Note that dues and subscriptions for AAPA, etc. are also deductible. But...you only get these deductions to the extent that the sum total of your itemized deductions, exceed 2% of your AGI.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Unless you are independent contractor, then you get to write all of this off.  Plus $.55 cents per mile driving, plus clothes you need for the contract, plus any books, your home office, your computer, printer, etc, etc, etc. 

Of course, as an independent contractor, you get to experience first hand exactly how much the government takes from you when you write that quarterly check.....

Archived