Pediatrics CAQ

I was just wondering if anyone took the pediatrics CAQ exam yesterday, 9/15?  I took it myself.  It was interesting.  I felt like the exam didn't really reflect the layout (percentages) listed on the blue print.  The questions, primarily the answer choices available, seemed to be quiet interesting.  Anyhow, just wanted to see if anyone else took the exam.  

Woodsters, glad you felt good about the exam.  I didn't feel absolutely terrible about it.  Although, myself, and a colleague of mine, took the exam; we are both inpatient hospitalist step down ICU/pulmonary practitioners in a major Children's hospital.  We both studied the medstudy books, the books that pediatric residents study for their boards.  We also spent a lot of time on the blue print in regards to development, and our personal bread and butter cardiopulmonary.  I agree with you, hopefully I passed.  I do hate the waiting game though.  

When I say I felt good about it I am not by any means saying it was easy. With the foreknowledge that one is not intended to "ace" an exam of this nature, I feel that I was adequately prepared. I did the PREP curriculum, Rudolph's and Lange's (both test question books). I "study" best by taking practice exams and probably answered 3000 sample questions over the past few months - like you, at the level of the MD's studying for Peds boards.

I am an outpatient family practice PA but I see all of the kids who come in my clinic.

My biggest "problem" with the exam was that I felt I needed more time. One minute per question at that level of difficulty just seemed to fly by.

• 2 months later...

The NCCPA (the same people who certify PA's through the PANCE and monitoring of CMEs) offer several specialty exams. A few have been around for years (Emergency Medicine is quite popular). Others, like the Pediatric exam, are new. These exams are not intended for new graduates and do NOT replace your PANCE/PANRE. I had to have 150 hours of pediatric CME, 4000 hours (two years) of direct pediatric patient care, physician attestation of my skill set, etc.

In my case, carrying this additional "certificate of added qualifications" will likely do nothing for my pay, etc. It will likely, however, provide additional credibility as a pediatric provider in my rural community. For me, the process of becoming eligible for the exam (CME conferences, studying, etc) was the biggest benefit as my knowledge base grew significantly.

Some who have taken other CAQ exams report an increase in pay, bonuses, better job offers, etc.

Archived